Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,494   Online: 770

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could this be what you are looking for? I haven't looked into the specific battery required for the meter you mention, but... well, I have this adapter for various other pieces of equipment that require a PX14.

If it's not PX14 you require, browse a bit more on that site or others, and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I also have a Luna-Pro and this is what I did. I purchased the Luna Pro Battery Adapter from B&H in New York for my meter. It was designed by Gossen to allow the use of # 357 or SR-44 batteris in place of the old 625 batteries. The adapter also includes Voltage reduction circuitry to drop the voltage down to the correct levels needed by the meter. The silver oxide batteries have a much longer life than the hearing aid batteries and the Wein Cells. At $38.95 it is a little pricey, but it works perfectly and the first pair of batteries is included.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I also have a Luna-Pro and this is what I did. I purchased the Luna Pro Battery Adapter from B&H in New York for my meter. It was designed by Gossen to allow the use of # 357 or SR-44 batteris in place of the old 625 batteries. The adapter also includes Voltage reduction circuitry to drop the voltage down to the correct levels needed by the meter. The silver oxide batteries have a much longer life than the hearing aid batteries and the Wein Cells. At $38.95 it is a little pricey, but it works perfectly and the first pair of batteries is included.
    x2

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi guys! Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate the input! Since I didn't feel like tossing out $40 for light meter that cost me $40, I went looking again for those posts I had seen about removing the washer from the battery.

And I found the thread! I may try the rubber o-ring method mentioned on page 2.

Also, on a note, I did find it pretty easy to remove the washers from the old batteries that were in it, but I'm not sure what size new-battery they would require.

This is kind of fun actually. I like working and researching vintage items

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I taped together a pair SR44 batteries and recalibrated the meter. Its probably no where near as accurate as it could be but its worked well enough for me so far.

Shooter
    35mm

Recalibration to use silver oxide cells

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rubber o-ring size (to replicate the 625 battery) is a #9. Works well in many devices as long as the device doesn't rely on electrical contact with the side of the battery.

I've seen (and have) metal washers. They do allow electrical contact on the side (here's one example: http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm) I believe Jon Goodman's adapter is more than just a ring; his design might be preferable.

I have one of the adapters made by de Gruijter. It was a bit cheaper when I bought it (but everything was cheaper than). It, like the Gossen adapter, is the "best" solution as it uses silver oxide batteries.

The limited life of the zinc air battery can be an issue. I think it somewhat depends on how much you use the meter. If very infrequently, you can try recovering the holes with electrical tape. That supposedly inhibits the chemical reaction and lengthens their life. If you use the meter every day, then it's fine to use the zinc air. They're inexpensive and you'll get good use out of them. It's the middle ground, where you end up getting relatively little use out of the battery before it dies, that I find awkward.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello.

Back to report on what I've found out so far. I got the 675's and I WAS able to press the old metal rings right onto them no problem. I then zero'd the meters (2 different luna pro meters) and placed the batteries inside one at at time. It is late at night here, so I was only able to test it in the low light settings, but both meters were giving me the same readings and my EI 200 tested nikon D300 was rendering perfect low light incident and reflective meterings, also the spot adapter worked perfectly.

My mind would like to think that because this was low light, that normal sunlight will be perfect as well, but we will have to wait till morning and see. I am hopeful though.

P.S. Couldn't find any o-rings labeled #9

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the solutions here will work. Washer,O-ring or commercial adapter. The advantage to the commercial unit is that it drops the voltage to the correct working voltage the meter was designed for.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin