Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,422   Online: 1032

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Prolux Strobe set aquired, some questions

Dear all,

I just acquired a second hand Studio Flash set: a Prolux 1200B Generator and 2 Prolux 2000B Flash Heads (plus stands reflectors and umbrella's)

I cannot find anything on this set, it looks quite well build, simple in the sense that is a minimum number of switches. Its made and designed in England. It is fitted with Bowens reflectors (maybe Bowens in disguise?). It's the first time I use a generator, and I have a couple of questions.

- It has a slow and a fast Charge button (obvious to understand). Is there a preference for using either setting ?

- I have read somewhere that to keep the capacitors of a Strobe in good shape they should be charged at max. power for 30 minutes. Is this still advisable? Should the capacitors discharged after that?

- The generator can be hooked up to 2 heads, over which symmetrically 600 wattseconds will be discharged. I assume , since the head is called 2000B the full 1200 ws can be discharged over one tube, can there be a preference for one of the slots on the generator? (Btw how can you check how much power a flash tube can take? I guess there is supposed to be a serial number on a tube? Cannot see one on the outside of the tube at least).

Thanks for any feedback,

best,

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not up on your particular strobe, but from my Speedotron Blackline set, and numberous battery pack and head rigs I use:

Fast charging may cause a circuit brekaer to trip in a residential setting. My 2400w/s pack can very briefly pull 70A after a full dump. Some 15A circuit breakers (120V AC system for me) will trip, other will not. So unless I need to shoot fashion with a shot every 2 seconds, I leave it on slow.

Electolytic capacitors do need to be 'formed' regualrly. I try to power up my pack every 3 months if I have not been using it. Just run it for 20 minutes or more before thinking about firing it if it has been away for w few months.

Most flash generators have a discharge circuit that safely bleeds the power off the capacitors when the ac power is switched off.

Some (most?) flash packs have switches to allow different powered banks to be ganged together. In my 2400 w/s unit there is a 1200 pair of sockets, a 800 pair of sockets, and a 400 pair of sockets. there are switches to allow different pack banks to be gang. Any head connected to a ganged bank shares the power of that bank symettrically.

Yes, heads are rated as to the amount of power they can take safely or long term use.

Many designs use different connector styles to protect against blowing low power head with connection to high power banks.

I hope these answers get you thinking, and are helpful.
    my real name, imagine that.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the elaborate answer, a big help!

I just checked one of the on-line manuals of Bowens (Quad 2400, a modern generator), and next to the power pull you mentioned, they also mention:

fast/sLoW charge
    the quad 2400 has the facility to adjust the charging
    times. turn the fast/slow switch to slow if:
    1.) a poor quality ac supply is being used.
    2.) several power packs are to share the same
    supply.
    3.) fast recycling is not required.
    using the slow setting whenever possible will
    prolong the life of the capacitors.

So I'll stick to that.

Thanks again,

Best,

Cor

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin