Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,043   Online: 771
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Cor
    Cor is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5

    Sekonic L-398 is 1 stop off..

    I just got a second hand Sekonic L-398 (as a back up meter, since it does not batteries).

    Checking it against my other meters (a Gossen Luna Six Pro 6 and another smaller Gossen) and it seems to be 1 stop off (less sensitive) consistently (have to check taht further. This is in incident mode, reflective mode is less clear, but I am most interested in incident metering for this particular meter anyway.

    Not a big deal, one can adjust by dialing in say 50 ASA instead of the needed 100 ASA

    So do these big selenium cells get less light sensitive over time?

    thanks,

    Best,

    Cor

  2. #2
    Kevin Kehler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    605
    If the meter is heated (i.e. left in the car on a hot day), there are plenty of stories about the meter becoming less accurate. Have you calibrated it? Hold some black cloth over the dome and push the button - if it does not read 0, there is a small screw on the back you can turn to calibrate to 0.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

    Andreas Feininger

  3. #3
    Cor
    Cor is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5
    Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. I did calibrate it, it needed a small adjustment (1/3 stop or so). What has happened with the meter I do not know, just got it second hand, but its in fine shape for it's age. Ít seems to be accurate , once I adjust it's asa speed, but further testing is needed to know for sure though.

    I now recall that you should keep it away from heat, thanks for reminding!

    I guess there is no way it could regain it's sensitivity?

    Best,

    Cor

  4. #4
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,382
    In my experience selenium cell meters that are not accurate demonstrate a response that is difficult to correct. For example in bright light it may be 1.5 stops off, but in dim light it may be only 1/3 stop off. Did you check the Sekonic across the whole range with your Gossen?

  5. #5
    Cor
    Cor is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5
    Hi Ic,

    That's the plan indeed, last evening the light was getting to dim, I hope I have more of a change tonight!

    Thanks,

    Cor

    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In my experience selenium cell meters that are not accurate demonstrate a response that is difficult to correct. For example in bright light it may be 1.5 stops off, but in dim light it may be only 1/3 stop off. Did you check the Sekonic across the whole range with your Gossen?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Brighton UK
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    256
    It could be that your other gear isn't 100% accurate either, but you've compensated for the error (either knowingly or not) within your exposure/development regime. Say you were half a stop wrong with your other meters and half a stop wrong with your new meter... that adds up to a full stop very quickly.

    People who calibrate their exposure/dev regimes often forget that they may only be internally cohesive, and comparing it to another photographer's regime may throw up quite large differences.
    Regards
    Jerry

  7. #7
    Cor
    Cor is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5
    I am aware of possible faults adding, but if I can get the Sekonic in incident mode in line with my 2 Gossens (which seem quite consistent together) over a decent lighting level range, I would be happy..

    Best,

    Cor

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    It could be that your other gear isn't 100% accurate either, but you've compensated for the error (either knowingly or not) within your exposure/development regime. Say you were half a stop wrong with your other meters and half a stop wrong with your new meter... that adds up to a full stop very quickly.

    People who calibrate their exposure/dev regimes often forget that they may only be internally cohesive, and comparing it to another photographer's regime may throw up quite large differences.
    Regards
    Jerry

  8. #8
    Kevin Kehler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    605
    I like to have a meter assigned to a camera - as in, when I am using camera X, I use meter A; when using camera Y, I use meter B, etc. This does limit the number of cameras one uses or the number of meters needed. The big issue is consistency: if your meter is wrong but consistently wrong, it doesn't matter since you quickly learn to adjust the settings on the meter; if your meter is wrong and not consistent in its' wrongness (as ic-racer mentioned), the meter is useless. At that point, either send the meter for servicing or get a new one.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

    Andreas Feininger

  9. #9
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Your meter might have a calibration screw and you should use that to align its readings with those of other lightmeters you use. If you use it both outdoor and indoor I would perform this alignment at no more than EV12 (1/125 f/5.6, 100 ISO) or probably less.
    If you use it mainly outdoors better to make the alignment at EV14.

    I would not rely on ISO fiddling for alignment as this is your backup light meter, you are going to use it rarely, and when you use it you might forget that you have to perform the ISO trick.

    If the calibration procedure does not allow you to align its response to that of the other two, then I think the instrument is unreliable and better no instrument than an unreliable one.

    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  10. #10
    Cor
    Cor is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leiden, The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Images
    5
    Hi Fabrizio,

    thanks for your feedback, I thought about that option too.

    You have to zero the meter by covering the dome and use the screw at the back to put the needle at zero. I could compensate the 1 stop difference by putting the needle one stop further, but I reasoned that I than will miss 1 EV (stop) from the total dynamic range.

    The different ISO setting is indeed a risk, which I hope to avoid by putting a small sticker right next to the ISO dial

    The meter seems to be consistent over a normal range of lighting conditions when compared to my Gossen Lunasix Pro (within 1/3 -1/2 stop)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Your meter might have a calibration screw and you should use that to align its readings with those of other lightmeters you use. If you use it both outdoor and indoor I would perform this alignment at no more than EV12 (1/125 f/5.6, 100 ISO) or probably less.
    If you use it mainly outdoors better to make the alignment at EV14.

    I would not rely on ISO fiddling for alignment as this is your backup light meter, you are going to use it rarely, and when you use it you might forget that you have to perform the ISO trick.

    If the calibration procedure does not allow you to align its response to that of the other two, then I think the instrument is unreliable and better no instrument than an unreliable one.

    Fabrizio



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin