Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,251   Online: 753

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    How about shooting a slower shutter speeds to allow more ambient light in the exposure? You'll be able to freeze the little guy with the flash. The background can get blurry, but it won't be dark.
    I've been thinking of try this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    How about taking him to a park and use available light with fill flash if necessary? It probably will provide a good background as well.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Got a million park shots already

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition to the radio triggers, There were small optically slaved flash units on the market used 2 AA batteries & fit a shirt pocket. I'm thinking around $20. apiece, you would just set these around the room, usually behind stuff. lamps, plants etc pointing upwards. Just enough to brighten the background and not much else.
    I think the GN was somewhere around "did you see a bright light"?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As the mom of an active 15 month old, I second the duct tape idea. I should have video'd my attempt to get a portrait of him on his first birthday (he's been walking since 10 months). In the end, I got a few semi-decent shots by handing him a distraction - foil wrapped roll of 120 film. I was using my Pentax AF400T (not a small flash) shooting through an umbrella to spread it out a bit. I had to tone it down to not blow things out (smallish area - 10x10ish), but the biggest problem was keeping him in the area covered by the flash and by the camera. It really didn't come down to how much light there was - just whether or not he was even in the frame and facing even sorta in the right direction to be lit nicely. The better shots were later when he was strapped to the high chair and had a cupcake for distraction.
    Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    As the mom of an active 15 month old, I second the duct tape idea. I should have video'd my attempt to get a portrait of him on his first birthday (he's been walking since 10 months). In the end, I got a few semi-decent shots by handing him a distraction - foil wrapped roll of 120 film. I was using my Pentax AF400T (not a small flash) shooting through an umbrella to spread it out a bit. I had to tone it down to not blow things out (smallish area - 10x10ish), but the biggest problem was keeping him in the area covered by the flash and by the camera. It really didn't come down to how much light there was - just whether or not he was even in the frame and facing even sorta in the right direction to be lit nicely. The better shots were later when he was strapped to the high chair and had a cupcake for distraction.
    Good luck!
    When they get a little bit older, they are much easier to keep still, and will even do so when asked most of the time.

I do a few shots of each of my now 4 year old and nearly 6 year old boys each birthday and the challenge becomes a little easier each year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    When they get a little bit older, they are much easier to keep still, and will even do so when asked most of the time.

I do a few shots of each of my now 4 year old and nearly 6 year old boys each birthday and the challenge becomes a little easier each year.
    How much older? I really look forward to that.

I agree with increasing the ambient light as much as you can, btw. This way, it won't matter what direction they're looking - 9 out of 10, it'd be away from the light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also have a SB-600 to use as a slave but it lacks the built-in optical sensor of the SB-800. Is it worth $85 to get the Nikon SU-4 or is there a reliable cheapy? There seem to be lots of negative reviews on Amazon for the cheapies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could buy these triggers http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wirele...6258713&sr=8-1

and attach the trigger to the rollei with this http://www.amazon.com/Kalt-PC-Hot-Sh...6258864&sr=8-5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are several hot shoe slave on Amazon starting at around $8.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Try simple and free solutions first

Quote Originally Posted by hidesert View Post
    I've been thinking of try this.
    I think if you're a stop under with the ambient light you'd avoid that ugly paparazzi, Ron Galella look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin