Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,639   Online: 958

Shooter
    Medium Format

Splicing together PC sync cords? radiotriggers w/ old flash

Im trying to use my radiotriggers (radiopopper JRX) with my Metz 60 CT 4 flash. The flash has a sync cable that terminates in a standard PC connection, and syncs up fine with my camera when I directly connect it to the port.

However, I want to use this flash with my radiotriggers and they only have a 3.5mm jack (like a headphone). I also have a 3.5mm to PC sync cable - Can I just cut off the two PC sync ends and splice these two cables together? Or would this not work?

Help!!! I need to use this ASAP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That should work. Try to get the polarity correct. i.e. connect the wire which was connected to the centre pin of the PC connector to the end pin of the 3.5mm jack. Usually it won't matter but if the trigger uses a thyristor instead of a triac, it will only work one way round.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 06-03-2011 at 03:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use one of this with my old metz, I pop one of these on my reciever and plug the flash pc cord into it
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Hot-Sho...7085547&sr=8-1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take your gear to the nearest electronics supply and see if an adapter can be had or fabricated.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Green View Post
    I use one of this with my old metz, I pop one of these on my reciever and plug the flash pc cord into it
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Hot-Sho...7085547&sr=8-1
    Not sure how this would work - how would I hook my triggers to the hotshoe? Bit confused here.....

Ill try the local electronics store, but Im really running short on time. Do photo stores usually sell a female to male adapter for PC sync cables?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    Not sure how this would work - how would I hook my triggers to the hotshoe? Bit confused here.....

Ill try the local electronics store, but Im really running short on time. Do photo stores usually sell a female to male adapter for PC sync cables?
    What are you hooking the shoe-mount(?)triggers up to? You should be able to find a patch for the receiver/flash end.

Ever check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/ ?

Check out the cables(3.5mm mini-plug/PC) here:

http://flashraw.com/review-phottix-a...izard-plus-ii/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I need a 3.5mm to FEMALE pc, sorry for the confusion. I broke one of the PC connectors and put the two males together - hopefully this works......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or buy a spare Metz cord, and fit it with a 3.5mm plug.

In the future, when you have time to plan properly, order what you need from Paramount Cords.

They do not break without extreme abuse. So far I cannot say this about Made in China cords that I have had break down at most inopportune times.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin