Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My pack says 60 CT 4 on it. It does have the top LED as well as two side LED's (one green and one red). My charger is type 728, battery is a black 60 38. Battery has 'Pb' written in the lower corner, as well as stating it is a 'VRLA' battery. Is this dryfit or SLA? Im going to change it back to the "dry" setting as mine looks exactly like yours. Charger says it outputs 7v, 600ma.

When you charge do both the green and red light stay on continuously? (not the one on top)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I charge ():

- at first, only the red indicator glows;
    - after about 6 hours of charging, the battery will be about 80% charged, the red indicator will stay on but the green indicator will come on as well;
    - after another 6 hours of charging, the red indicator will go out, leaving the green indicator on by itself and the battery almost completely charged.

If you want to top up the battery completely, another 6 hours of charging is required.

One further possibility - is there any chance that your battery is one of these after-market lithium ion replacements, that require a different charger:

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/epages/s...Products/A0116
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is copied from the current 60 CT1 manual:

"2.2.1 Charging the battery
    The 60-38 rechargeable battery must only be charged with the battery charger
    (Table 2, Page 513). The operating voltage must be set on the battery
    charger prior to the charging operation.
    Note ! During charging the flash unit must be turned off !
    Recharging an exhausted battery to 80% of its capacity takes approx. 7 hours.
    During this time, the red monitoring light  remains illuminated. As
    soon as the battery has been recharged up to 80% of its capacity the red
    monitoring light  starts flashing. The green monitoring light  (fig. 5)
    remains illuminated during the whole recharging procedure. After a further
    six hours the accumulator is then fully charged
    The battery is exhausted when recycling after a full-power flash takes more
    than 30 seconds. An exhausted battery must be immediately recharged."

For some reason, there doesn't seem to be anything similar in the current CT4 manual about how to charge the battery.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is copied from the current 60 CT1 manual:

"2.2.1 Charging the battery
    The 60-38 rechargeable battery must only be charged with the battery charger
    (Table 2, Page 513). The operating voltage must be set on the battery
    charger prior to the charging operation.
    Note ! During charging the flash unit must be turned off !
    Recharging an exhausted battery to 80% of its capacity takes approx. 7 hours.
    During this time, the red monitoring light  remains illuminated. As
    soon as the battery has been recharged up to 80% of its capacity the red
    monitoring light  starts flashing. The green monitoring light  (fig. 5)
    remains illuminated during the whole recharging procedure. After a further
    six hours the accumulator is then fully charged
    The battery is exhausted when recycling after a full-power flash takes more
    than 30 seconds. An exhausted battery must be immediately recharged."

For some reason, there doesn't seem to be anything similar in the current CT4 manual about how to charge the battery.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    kawasakiguy37,

I think the cause is that the battery does not hold sufficient charge for normal operation. You need a replacement.

If you're somewhere near Alameda or Fremont, I can gather a good 60CT4 unit so you can test yours and isolate the cause of the problem. Drop me a private message.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    My pack says 60 CT 4 on it. It does have the top LED as well as two side LED's (one green and one red). My charger is type 728, battery is a black 60 38. Battery has 'Pb' written in the lower corner, as well as stating it is a 'VRLA' battery. Is this dryfit or SLA? Im going to change it back to the "dry" setting as mine looks exactly like yours. Charger says it outputs 7v, 600ma.
    Good morning, KawasakiGuy37;

Let me start with: I do not know if I will ever forgive them for dropping the A7. Yes, I do realize that the EPA was coming, but they had the best performing 350 out there, bar none. The Yamaha RD-350 always won the overall rating by Cycle World, but the A7 was always the top one in performance.

When you get to meet with BigSpecBear, take a voltmeter with you. That will tell you quite a lot. When the DryFit battery is fully charged and taken off the charger, you may measure an open circuit voltage of about 7.0 VDC. One that has been sitting for a few hours will probably drop down to about 6.3 VDC and sit there for a long time. You can also check the battery voltage when it will not charge the 60 CT-4 any longer. Normally I do not want to see mine at less than about 5 VDC. At that point, they really do need to be recharged. If after a normal full charging, it does not rise to the standard full charge voltage of about 6.9 to 7.0 VDC, or it just does not seem to last very long when it has been recharged, it may be time for a replacement DryFit.

The DryFit battery type may also be called an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat), SLA (Sealed Lead Acid), VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid), or some other similar non-spillable or non-liquid electrolyte lead-acid battery. It will not have any vents or caps on top to check the electrolyte level. Do not try to use a motorcycle battery in this application; you know what can happen if you lay the bike down and it is there on its side for a long time, and later you see what has happened in and around the battery box. And, in addition to that vertical ridge on the side of the case, the DryFit battery contacts are very different from the normal motorcycle battery posts with the lead plated brass nuts, washers, and bolts, or the special attached wiring and terminals.

You can get a perfectly serviceable Digital VoltMeter (DVM) at Harbor Freight for about $10.00. It also has lots of applications with the electrical system on the bike.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    So what do you find out? I would try to charge the battery by some way else and make sure I have it charged then test to see if the flash work. Then we can isolate as to where the problem is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used many Metz units. They are very reliable. Many of them from the 70s are still working. As others pointed out, the only common problem is the battery no longer holding a charge. Key is that these sealed batteries for the 60 series must be kept charged for long life. Other problems are setting the little connector on the charger for the wrong type of battery, dirty battery or charger contacts, or a bad sync cord.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin