Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,765   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can I use Radio trigger + flash with old cameras?

Can I use a radio trigger and flash combo (yong nuo rf-602 and yong nuo 460-II) with my slr, a nikkomat ft2. I had them before but sold them already so I cannot test it with my Nikkomat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, if the camera has a hot shoe or a pc sync, which I believe the Nikkormat has both, it will work. I use pocket wizards with all sorts of old stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, so all that is needed in the camera is a pc sync? Thanks, that is good new. Now I can play with off cam lighting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One thing to be careful of: These radio triggers take a certain amount of time to send their message from transmitter to receiver.

Not an issue with focal plane shutters, which normally dictate a max shutter speed of 1/25th or thereabouts.

But a leaf shutter will operate up to 1/500th. If the message from the trigger to the receiver is still being processed by the receiver when the shutter is beginning to close, you'll get an underexposed shot.

When using radio triggers, I limit shutter speed to 1/125th.
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not an issue with focal plane shutters, which normally dictate a max shutter speed of 1/25th or thereabouts.

What? Just stay at or below your camera's synch speed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

You misunderstand. Leaf shutters go to 1/500th and can sync at that speed.

The issue is that the radio triggers have a delay between the shutter telling the transmitter to fire and the reciever telling the flash to fire.

If you use 1/125th or 1/160th, you're fine.

If you use your leaf shutter set to 1/500th, then you may not be getting all the strobes juice in your exposure.
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What he is saying is that if you are hard wired to your strobe, you can operate up to 1/500th with a leaf shutter.

If you introduce a transmitter/receiver, the signal from one to the other may prohibit you from going as high as the shutter willl allow you.

Or in simpler terms, the leaf shutter may let you operate at 1/500th, but the transmitter/receiver wont.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    What he is saying is that if you are hard wired to your strobe, you can operate up to 1/500th with a leaf shutter.

If you introduce a transmitter/receiver, the signal from one to the other may prohibit you from going as high as the shutter willl allow you.

Or in simpler terms, the leaf shutter may let you operate at 1/500th, but the transmitter/receiver wont.
    PW products don't seem to have this issue. Most of my studio shooting is well south of 1/500. Outdoors at higher speed? No problems. Don't think the OP has much to worry about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PW products don't seem to have this issue. Most of my studio shooting is well south of 1/500. Outdoors at higher speed? No problems. Don't think the OP has much to worry about.

True. I use the Flex TT5's and regularly shoot at speeds over 1/1000th without issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's see now.
    lens opens completely, fires transmitter, transmitter sends signal to receiver, which relays it to the flash. Eventually the shutter closes.
    Electrons travel at/near the speed of light so the slowest part of the chain is the shutter. Then comes radio waves, then flash. Blink!

Wonder how long it takes for the flash to respond to the closing of the switch?

All you need to do to test is look through the shutter at it's highest speed and trip the flash. Light = it's working at the highest speed.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin