Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,190   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

SCA Adaptors - An obvious question...or is it?

A quick question. Will TTL flash exposure work when using a SCA adaptor and a camera without a metered finder?

I was lent the right SCA adaptor to try with my Metz and my Bronica, but as I don't have a metered finder It seems obvious to me that TTL exposure won't work. The guy who lent it to me said that it should, but I am not convinced. Am I missing something?

Shooter
    35mm
    If your camera supports TTL metering with that adaptor, it should work. TTL flash metering happens during the exposure, while your mirror is up and your finder cannot meter much
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flash exposure for film cameras is usually OTF (off the film) so some cameras have the sensor/meter cell in the body under the mirror.

I don't know Bronica but it is possible it will work without a metered finder/prism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think as far as I recall from when I used to sell them only the Bronica ETRSi and SQAi versions only have TTL OTF flash metering facility.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-09-2011 at 06:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I have a SQAi, so I should be good to go. I must see if I can find that manual!

I live and learn every day...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On further reflection I would I think have problems with automatic fill in flash (synchro sunlight) in daylight without a on board camera light meter in evaluating how much ambient daylight is present to enable the flash give the correct amount of flash to fill the shadows.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Hoffy;

While I cannot specifically state that it will work in the way that you are describing for use with your Bronica, there is a Metz SCA adapter here for use with my Minolta cameras that does require 4xAAA batteries in it to work, and it does measure from the camera location the light intensity of the area being illuminated by my electronic flash units. There is even a selector on the back of this SCA adapter to adjust its sensitivity up or down a couple of f stops. It is for use with AF cameras also, so it should indeed be capable of working in a manner similar to what you are describing.

Where did I put the instruction sheets that came with those? I know that I have the regular manual for the 60 CT1. These oblivious questions are so hard to answer.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Film camera that support TTL flash would work without any meter in the viewfinder as any meter in the viewfinder can't be used. For fill flash either the ambient light auto exposure system or set manually by user. The fill flash doesn't use these information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bronicas have a photocell in the mirror box that reads off the film, independent of a metered finder. I think in the manual there's a diagram of the metering pattern the cell reads.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    OK, I have a SQAi, so I should be good to go. I must see if I can find that manual!

I live and learn every day...
    If you can't find yours, go to http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ If you find the download useful, please send in $3 to he can keep up this project.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin