Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,266   Posts: 1,680,794   Online: 723

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    Uuh, my mistake...
    I have actually used that Rollei E36 flash with the 16mm fisheye but the light falloff from the flash is kind of an ugly rectangle with the bottom top and sides each having a different abruptness in cutoff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I happened to come across a Nikon SB-28 flash for $80, but did not buy it yet. It looks like that will go as wide as 20mm and will work fine in Auto mode on my non-TTL cameras. I'll goggle around a little more tonight on this flash and may stop by and pick it up tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Turns out the SB-28 was gone from the photo shop and a SB-24 was now there at $90. I kind of had my mind set on the SB-28 as it can go wider, so I got one off ebay. The SB-28 has a pull-down diffuser that extends the range to 18mm coverage. The SB-28 has an external sensor, so it can be used on all my cameras.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...ghts/SB-28.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update on this thread: I did get the SB-28 with its 18mm wide angle capacity and it works great. I am still trying to get a good system for full -frame fisheye, however. New thread started on that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not much of an on-camera flash guy, but I have clients I hate to say "no" to and so do the occasional "event" shoot...

This diffuser is the best I've ever used, and it's nineteen bucks. It's for upright flashes though.

Just sticking diffusion on the flash won't help a lot - you need to get the source as large as is reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    I'm not much of an on-camera flash guy, but I have clients I hate to say "no" to and so do the occasional "event" shoot...

This diffuser is the best I've ever used, and it's nineteen bucks. It's for upright flashes though.

Just sticking diffusion on the flash won't help a lot - you need to get the source as large as is reasonable.
    That's a really interesting item. Is it that same shape all the way around? Would you know the degree of attenuation? Meaning, how many stops does it reduce the output?

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ken, I couldn't tell you… and the nature of the beast makes it feel a little moot to me - if you measured directly, you'd see a drop of at least a stop I'm sure, but then you get more spread-out, soft light in the overall scene. Plus, I can't remember a time when on-camera flash didn't have enough oomph for me, even in the film days, shooting EPP at 80 iso. But for, say, a wedding guy or someone who does a ton of events, I'm sure there's a more thought-out approach. I use this for meet & greet, minor celebs in town kind gigs, and I'll likely whip it out at a party or two - all digital though.

It's essentially like those $60 Gary Phong tupperware-looking things, just a lot cheaper and seems to spread the light much more. It is the same all around… I've thought about putting foil against the back interior of it, but I don't do enough on-camera stuff to need to play with it too much. $19 and Amazon's return policies, maybe worth a try if you're not psyched with your current approach. I used a lumiquest reflector-thing and a rubber band for the last 15 years, so for me, huge improvement.

Just gutted a Speedotron head to put my Speedo reflectors on a Vivitar 285 - MUCH more excited about that, with a radio slave it's a cheap & portable deal for more of a beauty dish look, but I'm sure it could take a good sized strip box or softbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speedo-adapter.jpg   DSC_0331.jpg   DSC_0298.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin