Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 730

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Flash with lenses wider than 35mm

I'm looking for some type of diffuser to place over a flash so I can use 35mm camera lenses wider than 35mm. I'm looking to use lenses from 28mm to 16mm fisheye.

The flashes in question are the Rollei E36 handle flash and an assortment of various shoe mounted flashes. Rollei never made (as far as I can tell) an add-on diffuser for the E36 handle flash. I did get one of those rectangular box-like diffusers in a box of stuff but it does not fit over any of my shoe mounted flashes.

How about this thing? It looks like I can strap it onto the E36 flash and get a good wide field: http://www.lumiquest.com/products/ultrabounce.htm

(link points to Lumiquest Ultrabounce)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if it will fit on an E36 but I used an empty Rodinal plastic bottle. Just carved up the neck of the bottle and velcro it on the flash - now my 580EX doubles as a bare bulb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal Bare Bulb.jpg  
    Last edited by ghostcount; 07-29-2011 at 09:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added image
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roscoe or Lee diffusion material and tape or self-adhesive velcro. Retains color balance and you get to choose the degree of diffusion/light loss.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have found that diffusers are fair and better than nothing when there isn't anything to bounce off, say out doors or without a swivel head.

Indoors with walls or ceiling to bounce off and a swivel head I find a diffuser a hindrance.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look around your kitchen.

I've made then out of plastic tupperware type containers.
    Or

the old standby,
    a isopropyl alcohol bottle bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the Sunpak filter kit for my 555 flash. It comes with two diffusers, an 85 filter, and several colored filters (red, blue, green, etc.). One diffuser is for 20mm, and cuts two stops. The other cuts one stop, and I believe it is for 28mm. They also make a version of the kit with smaller filters for the 383 flash. If you get the filter holder for either of these kits, it would probably be very easy to jury rig that holder to a variety of flashes, rather than taping the filters on.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few suggestions; try Pacific Rim Cameras, in Oregon, USA.
    Keep checking with them, as inventory rotates through their doors constantly.
    Attach the holder to your existing flash with strapped Velcro.

Example of a Vivitar diffuser kit:

95790 VIVITAR LENS KIT FOR 283, COVERS 24, 28, 70 AND 135, IN PLASTIC CASE AND WORN BOX $20.00
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/images/95790.jpg

Example of a flash, filter/diffuser holder from Vivitar:

87665 VIVITAR LENS FILTER HOLDER FA-3 FOR 2500 FLASH, ADAPTS FILTER KITS FK-2 AND WFK-2, NEW IN WORN BOX $8.00
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/images/87665.jpg

A Rollei Flash unit with Rollei diffusers:

138165 ROLLEI BETA 5 FLASH, WITH WIDE, NORMAL AND TELEPHOTO HEADS, AND COLOR FILTER KIT, WORKING, LOOKS EX $95.00
    http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/images/138165.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find a Sto-Fen Omni bounce even covers the whole frame without vignetting with my 17mm lens if used correctly and bounced off the ceiling and not used direct. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_6rli2uzqdp_b
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I have found that diffusers are fair and better than nothing when there isn't anything to bounce off, say out doors or without a swivel head.

Indoors with walls or ceiling to bounce off and a swivel head I find a diffuser a hindrance.

My (limited) experience is the reverse of this. A diffuser sends light in all directions. Outside, most of this gets lost and a reflector is better. A diffuser works inside as the scattered light can then bounce off of walls and ceilings and more of it will reach the subject.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know the Honeywell handle flashes had a diffuser accessory (see picture; not my picture or my flash). However, the Rollei flash is more of a rectangle and the factory sales literature and owner's manual for the flash don't show any accessory diffuser. The Beta 5 flash is a later shoe mounted flash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin