Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 927

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ce. Thanks for the reponse, gives me a good starting point. I dont want you guys to start fighting but do have a question. Whats better, film or digital?

Kidding

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To give you an idea with I use with my Nikon FA and FE and my Mamiya 645 Pro is older Canon potato masher flashes (533G and 577G). I haven't really had any issues with going with the flash driven f-stop for auto. The only exception to this was some family pictures I did with Porta 160 about a year or so in full sun, I should have adjusted something as I believe my ambient was to bright, and actually the entire picture set was to bright. I should have got my meter out, but I didn't.......I do now. Lesson learned.

I think you have something to go on as far as technique, unfortunately you will have to try some experimenting before playing with actual customers. I would appreciate it once you have a technique down, come back and tell us......i would love to know exactly how you will be working with flash.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    That's cheating on APUG as is a digital back for the RB67 And besides, I find metering with DSLRs is not quite the same as with film and the coverage of medium format for flash is different generally anyways so you'd need to do some calibration tests before it was reliable. Fuji Instant film really shows you what the image will look like on film using the same lens and camera.
    How is the coverage different? The flash covers x degrees, the lens is y degrees. It is field of view dependant, not format size.

I find my 30D and Gossen Luna Pro agree on reflected just fine.

dSLR will show you what the image looks like just fine - where the light falls, the softness/hardness of the light, how the lighting contrast looks.

Flash meter is a great tool too.

I use a pair of YN-460 II'swith my RB67 and RF-600/602's.

At $7/pack for 10 shots you can still buy a lot of instant film for the cost of a DSLR and you get a real print, not just an LCD but do what works for you.

To the OP, sorry we're more than a little off topic now... I will go now...

Assuming he doesn't have a dSLR already - or any small mirrorless camera with hot shoe or pc sync. There are a lot of cheap small p&s with hot shoe.

Great for preview when you're doing things on the cheap and not having modelling lamps on your flashes.

Even with a digital preview or polaroid back - neither is a substitute for an incident flash meter, that should be first priority.
    Last edited by Athiril; 08-10-2011 at 01:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FP-100B takes 30s to develop, not 1-2 minutes (FP-100C is longer, true). Switching backs takes 10s or less, especially when on a tripod. I use it outdoors, no problem. Indoors FP-3000B is even faster, 15-20s or so (I use it to proof Delta 3200 120 at times).
    FP-100B is discontinued. Have you ever tried using fuji instant for proofing with real live models? I have, not a nice experience. I prefer dslr.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    How is the coverage different? The flash covers x degrees, the lens is y degrees. It is field of view dependant, not format size.

I find my 30D and Gossen Luna Pro agree on reflected just fine.

dSLR will show you what the image looks like just fine - where the light falls, the softness/hardness of the light, how the lighting contrast looks.

Flash meter is a great tool too.

I use a pair of YN-460 II'swith my RB67 and RF-600/602's.

Assuming he doesn't have a dSLR already - or any small mirrorless camera with hot shoe or pc sync. There are a lot of cheap small p&s with hot shoe.

Great for preview when you're doing things on the cheap and not having modelling lamps on your flashes.

Even with a digital preview or polaroid back - neither is a substitute for an incident flash meter, that should be first priority.
    Agree. This absolute insistence on "analog only" is approaching "flat earth" looniness when it comes to issues like this. I haven't seen anyone use Polaroid proofing in a "film" studio session in years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olleorama View Post
    FP-100B is discontinued. Have you ever tried using fuji instant for proofing with real live models? I have, not a nice experience. I prefer dslr.
    I said I was done with this thread and normally I'd stick to my word but since I was asked a question...

FP-100B has indeed been discontinued but since no one but me apparently uses the stuff, Fujifilm USA has written that they are worried that they won't be able to sell off the stock before it all expires at the end of the year. The stuff works fine past the overly conservative expiry date (I think analog manufacturers have shot themselves in the foot partly because of their expiry dates but that is for another rant than this one...).

I find real live people find instant pictures are fun for proofing but I have not shot real supermodels who might find waiting 30s annoying. Perhaps if I'm shooting a real pro model they would laugh me out of the studio for taking fuji instant proofs. I don't know.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Agree. This absolute insistence on "analog only" is approaching "flat earth" looniness when it comes to issues like this. I haven't seen anyone use Polaroid proofing in a "film" studio session in years.
    Your reply is approaching an insult but you should read what I wrote instead of seeing it as blind insistence. I believe I tried to write that I find an instant picture gives me a better idea of what a film print will look like than what a DSLR gives me. I don't use it to be blindly analog, I use it because it works better for me. I hope that is clear enough.

And... I am not a complete luddite. I have and use Canon pro digital equipment. When I want digital output I use digital rather than scanning film and since digital output is what all my clients want these days I don't shoot with both digital and film for jobs, it is just digital 100%. No one even want prints anymore and even if they do want prints and I try to tell them that analog prints better, they don't want it anyways. At this point the only film I shoot is for me alone.

OK, now I'm really done with this thread, I hope...

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find real live people find instant pictures are fun for proofing but I have not shot real supermodels who might find waiting 30s annoying. Perhaps if I'm shooting a real pro model they would laugh me out of the studio for taking fuji instant proofs. I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Amusement is one thing, business another. Instant film proofing just isn't part of professional workflow in the way it once was. The price and availability of the stuff are clues, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I find real live people find instant pictures are fun for proofing but I have not shot real supermodels who might find waiting 30s annoying. Perhaps if I'm shooting a real pro model they would laugh me out of the studio for taking fuji instant proofs. I don't know.

Amusement is one thing, business another. Instant film proofing just isn't part of professional workflow in the way it once was. The price and availability of the stuff are clues, right?
    Yes, they're the reason why FP-100B is discontinued.

As I just wrote above, professionally film is totally dead as far as I'm concerned.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I said I was done with this thread and normally I'd stick to my word but since I was asked a question...

FP-100B has indeed been discontinued but since no one but me apparently uses the stuff, Fujifilm USA has written that they are worried that they won't be able to sell off the stock before it all expires at the end of the year. The stuff works fine past the overly conservative expiry date (I think analog manufacturers have shot themselves in the foot partly because of their expiry dates but that is for another rant than this one...).

People who get paid to model usually don't bother. More like brides and grooms, relatives, kids and what not. And if we're talking fp-100C which is the one available, as mentioned, it would be a lot more than 30s..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin