Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 749

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Sunpak 522 and RB67

I just got this flash for my RB, and have never used flash before. It is essentially for a little fill flash for outdoor photography. I will be using a Portra 400. I do have a Sekonic L-508 and will be using my 180mm lens. My understanding is that the RB will fire the flash at all shutter speeds, so do I select an appropriate aperture and shutter speed on the camera and dial that aperture into the flash and shoot? Should I use the flash, dial in a shtter speed of 100, fire the flash and use the aperture the light meter gives me?
    Also, once I have determined the above, do you usually dial back the flash a little to be on the safe side? I am just trying not to waste too much film figuring this out for myself.
    I just noticed that I cannot mount the RB to my tripod with the flash and flash holder attatched. I may need to put the flash on its own tripod and use the remote sensor to fire it, as I am not sure I want to hand hold the camera and flash.
    Any help appreciated. Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    If I have to shoot quickly I would select 1 of its 4 automatic range, set the aperture on the camera lens to match and shoot away. If I have time, I would put the flash on manual, measure the flash with the flash meter and set the aperture accordingly. Adjust the power ratio to get to the aperture you like.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the response, but what about shutter speed? Do you use just one shutter speed, like 100, or do you use the shutter/aperture suggested by the camera meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the RB67's leaf shutter lenses you can use any shutter speed you want as all are synchronized for flash exposures. Obviously a longer shutter speed will give you more ambient light. The flash exposure is very short so set the aperture for the flash and film speed and you'll get the correct subject exposure and you can use the shutter speed to adjust the background exposure.

Fill flash is a bit different however. Generally fill is not using the full amount of flash needed as you have some ambient light as well. In this case you may want to use a smaller aperture than suggested or a lower flash power if you're using manual flash settings.

If you aren't sure how it will turn out, get a Polariod back and some Fuji FP-100C or 100B film and you get can instant feedback about your lighting. Then replace with the 120 back to take your final images.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    With the RB67's leaf shutter lenses you can use any shutter speed you want as all are synchronized for flash exposures. Obviously a longer shutter speed will give you more ambient light. The flash exposure is very short so set the aperture for the flash and film speed and you'll get the correct subject exposure and you can use the shutter speed to adjust the background exposure.

Fill flash is a bit different however. Generally fill is not using the full amount of flash needed as you have some ambient light as well. In this case you may want to use a smaller aperture than suggested or a lower flash power if you're using manual flash settings.

If you aren't sure how it will turn out, get a Polariod back and some Fuji FP-100C or 100B film and you get can instant feedback about your lighting. Then replace with the 120 back to take your final images.
    Instant-schminstant. 1½-2 minutes plus time to change backs usually... Try and use that practically outside the studio if you like. Aint gonna happen with any real customers. Not IMHE at least.

Dante stella has a good article on fill flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FP-100B takes 30s to develop, not 1-2 minutes (FP-100C is longer, true). Switching backs takes 10s or less, especially when on a tripod. I use it outdoors, no problem. Indoors FP-3000B is even faster, 15-20s or so (I use it to proof Delta 3200 120 at times).

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Got a friend with a DSLR?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Got a friend with a DSLR?
    That's cheating on APUG as is a digital back for the RB67 And besides, I find metering with DSLRs is not quite the same as with film and the coverage of medium format for flash is different generally anyways so you'd need to do some calibration tests before it was reliable. Fuji Instant film really shows you what the image will look like on film using the same lens and camera.

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    That's cheating on APUG as is a digital back for the RB67 And besides, I find metering with DSLRs is not quite the same as with film and the coverage of medium format for flash is different generally anyways so you'd need to do some calibration tests before it was reliable. Fuji Instant film really shows you what the image will look like on film using the same lens and camera.
    Except that Fuji instant isn't exactly giveaway priced, Harry. However heretical it may be, the DSLR route works. Just don't tell anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At $7/pack for 10 shots you can still buy a lot of instant film for the cost of a DSLR and you get a real print, not just an LCD but do what works for you.

To the OP, sorry we're more than a little off topic now... I will go now...

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin