Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,422   Online: 1138

Shooter
    Medium Format

Metz 60 CT-1 usage help

Just got a nice used 60 CT-1. I would like to confirm how to use this thing with you guys who use them.

In the normal, auto mode. I set my film speed and then dial up and down to the different "C" levels and set the f-stop on the camera (an old Mamiya 645 Pro) to the appropriate stop indicated by the line. That is correct, right?

If I want to enter the Winder/Motor Drive mode or the Manual mode I set "W" or "M" using the same slider I set to use for the "C" modes (all 6 of them). After that, I know I go up to for the Winder or Motor Drive settings, looks like you set ISO for film, but all the settings look crazy wide open. Could someone clear this up for me?

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 45CT-3 which I believe just a more powerful version of yours.

In AUTO mode, I set the small dial to indicate ISO and the large dial to indicate aperture. Then set the camera accordingly.

In MANUAL mode, I set it to either M, M1/2, or M1/4 which would be FULL power, 1/2 power, and 1/4 power.
    The small dial does nothing. The large dial adjusts the output - that's it.

If I set it to W mode, it's the same thing as M1/16. For smaller power, it recharges fast enough that I can use it with a Winder.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    All the Metz with the same series number have the same power. So all the 60 have guide number of 60 in meters or 197 in feet. The 45 series has GN45 in meters or 140 in feet. So the 60CT1 is more powerful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I said that wrong. I meant YOURS is more powerful then mine. Yup, mine is GN140.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob:

In case you don't have it, here is the link from the Metz site for the manual:

http://www.metz.de/index.php?eID=tx_...6dfde5a6d9f5ef

I've too have always found the Winder/Motordrive manual modes to be confusing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Matt, that may be the understatement of the year. I actually found an engish only copy of the 60 CT-1 manual. That was about 5 hours ago and I saved it on another computer so I can't relay right now the location that I found that manual at.

I am testing this flash using my Mamiya 645 Pro with Illford 400 ASA B&W film so hopefully next week I will have film developed and in hand.

For those of you that don't know, I have been using the old Canon potato mashers from the 70's exclusively for anything I need big flash for. The 533G with it's 6AA self contained batteries and the 577G with it's 6 C celled battery pack (or 6 sub-C ni-cad pack) have served me well, but what a differnce with this Metz 60. It's like I am just toying around with it.....I did 10 rapid fire shots at around 10 feet and it never even seemed to need to stop and even recharge the capacitor.....never experienced that before.

I think I have the "Auto" thing down, that's seems pretty obvious, but some advice/techniques for manual and the winder modes is needed. The user manual seems like that you should already know everything about everything about Metz flashes before you buy or use one.....a couple of more words here and there certainly could have explained things better......

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob:

I actually have an original manual for the 60-CT1 and 60-CT2, and the instructions there are much better than in the internet version. Here goes (with some paraphrasing by me):

WINDER OR MOTOR DRIVE OPERATION

For reduced output and high speed cycling operation, set the slider on the (back) "programming centre" to "W". Adjust the film speed setting knob on the (top) aperture calculator so that the film speed used lines up with the index line on the DIN/ISO film speed scale. Then:

For winder operation, set the index line on the W/MD switch to the "W" position - the metric guide number for DIN 21/ISO 100 is decreased from 60 (full manual) to 10 and the maximum number of flashes is increased to 2.5 per second.

For motor drive operation, set the index line on the W/MD switch to the "MD" position - the metric guide number for DIN 21/ISO 100 is further decreased from 60 (full manual) to 7 and the maximum number of flashes is increased to 5 per second.

It certainly doesn't help that in the internet version of the manual it isn't really possible to see that the back "programming centre" has a "W" mark below the "M" and all the "C"s.

As I understand it, the dials on the top of the flash head have no function unless and until you slide the back slider down to the "W". When that happens, the settings on the back (and the sensor) cease to have any effect, and the dials on the top set the light output, and tell you which aperture to use on your camera.

Hope this helps.

PS Although the 60-CT1 remains in Metz's lineup, the flash and the instructions has changed very slightly over the years. I don't think that the changes are particularly important, but they do make internet discussions difficult.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    @MattKing You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I have been trying to figure out my 60 CT-1 for the longest time - I read the internet manual and was more confused. THANK YOU for sharing this valuable info! Your info is especially valuable since the 60 CT-1 is the best bang for your buck in flash photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by organicphoto View Post
    @MattKing You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I have been trying to figure out my 60 CT-1 for the longest time - I read the internet manual and was more confused. THANK YOU for sharing this valuable info! Your info is especially valuable since the 60 CT-1 is the best bang for your buck in flash photography.
    Glad to be of help!
    Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin