Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,343   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have an old minolta i got for 10-25$ like new ..
    it works great like david and the others have said
    BUT
    it eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner !
    if you get one, make sure to remove your battery
    because it won't last very long if you don't -

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually change the batteries in my Minolta III about once a year.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    One of the gripes on the sekonic 758DR was the voracious appetite in regards to batteries. Very cool i'll take a look at the minoltas and do some more research on the Kenko rebadged versions. Thanks for the help!

./e

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    One of the gripes on the sekonic 758DR was the voracious appetite in regards to batteries. Very cool i'll take a look at the minoltas and do some more research on the Kenko rebadged versions. Thanks for the help!

./e
    Never heard that one before about Sekonics eating batteries--another urban legend? Batteries in my old 358 and current 558 lasted about 2 years--and that was with a good deal of low light work that powers up the backlighting on the LCD.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Meters tend to use power when they are actually taking a reading, so they are prone to battery drainage if they are left with the power on and the button used to take a reading is compressed in the case. A flash meter would use more power, I suspect, if you normally use it in the non-corded mode, when it is on and waits for the flash to give the reading. If you plug the meter into the strobe sync, and activate it with the button on the meter, it should use less power.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Meters tend to use power when they are actually taking a reading, so they are prone to battery drainage if they are left with the power on and the button used to take a reading is compressed in the case. A flash meter would use more power, I suspect, if you normally use it in the non-corded mode, when it is on and waits for the flash to give the reading. If you plug the meter into the strobe sync, and activate it with the button on the meter, it should use less power.
    The recent Sekonics(e.g., 358/558/608/758)have an "auto-off" feature along with an "on/off" button you'd practically have to sit on to activate accidentally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Never heard that one before about Sekonics eating batteries--another urban legend? Batteries in my old 358 and current 558 lasted about 2 years--and that was with a good deal of low light work that powers up the backlighting on the LCD.
    Yeah my 358 is really easy on batteries too.

One other point I'd like to make with regard to buying a meter is it's relative importance; my handheld meter, more than any other piece of equipment, is what allows me to shoot consistently well.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Yeah my 358 is really easy on batteries too.

One other point I'd like to make with regard to buying a meter is it's relative importance; my handheld meter, more than any other piece of equipment, is what allows me to shoot consistently well.
    Amen. These days, they can consistently save you money by lowering the quotient of blown shots(exposure-wise, at least!). My teensy Sekonic 308 has long been my "go anywhere" meter--love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a couple of Sekonics, one of them daily in the studio and the other waits (and waits) in my bag for those rare days I can get out and shoot some stuff for myself. I have never had an issue with battery use in either meter. One thing I do like about them is that they use normal AA batteries, so if you are paranoid about being caught short by your gear (who isn't if you are shooting jobs on location?) that is one less thing to worry about. AAs can be found anywhere so I can check that off my OCD list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Shepherd and it's a lovely, no frills flash meter. They're well made, simple, affordable and yet no one has mentioned them.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin