Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,548   Online: 975

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mecatwin or Metz 402 with the 60 CT 4 pack?

Trying to get some extra oomph out of my 60 CT-4 System. I see there are two connections for heads, but for a second head you must use a mecatwin (special head with capacitor inside) instead of another 60 CT4 head.

Anybodoy know if the older Metz 402 mecatwin head will work with my new 60 CT4 system? Do any versions of the mecatwin offer manual output or just manual at full power?

Finally, anybody know how powerful these mecatwins really are? Am I doubling the power of my 60 CT or just increasing it by a smaller ratio?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are going waaay back with the mecatwin. I only found out about them when I found two 3 pin connectors on mt CT-1/2 pack. I think the twin was usually used for a fill to the main pack.

Bite the bullet, and bring another old pack and head flash back to life. If you are looking for more omph, then battery powered this is going to be challenging.

Old Norman packs can live almost forever (not their nicad packs and chargers thoughh - swap AGM lead acid or NiMh or Li-ion in and charge it accordingly.
    They have the ability to run bare bulb, mount to a speed ring gracefully for a soft box, or use there usual reflector.
    They are not really auto flash, but with multiple heads autoflash is usally not viable.

I have an old blue colured 200B. I believe there were 400 and 800 w/s battery powered packs as well.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if the Metz 402 Mecatwin head will work, but I'm sure that the Mecatwin 60-40 head will.

And yes, I know that the Mecatwin 60-40 looks identical to the 402 head.

I'm surprised you cannot hook an extra CT-4 head to the pack - I can hook both my CT-2 and CT-1 heads to the same pack at the same time and they fire.

I haven't checked whether they are fully in synch though, nor whether the auto flash exposure still works nor whether the resulting trigger voltage might be too high.

At one time I had a Mecatwin 60-40 head that I bought at a "parts" price. It was uneconomic to repair, because it had overheated in use and was partially melted!

I was told that the 60-40 was essentially a modified Mecatwin 402, and as such it was vulnerable to over-heating because it tended to be used with 60 CT series heads, and they were capable of recycling and flashing more rapidly than the 402 series equipment.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    Finally, anybody know how powerful these mecatwins really are?
    From what I can remember, the MecaTwin has GN of 45. So it's about 1 stop less than the 60CT.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm surprised you cannot hook an extra CT-4 head to the pack - I can hook both my CT-2 and CT-1 heads to the same pack at the same time and they fire.
    The power pack has only 1 capacitor, not sufficient to power 2 flash heads. The MecaTwin has its own capacitor.

I'm surprised that you can fire both a CT-2 and a CT-1 from one power pack. I have a CT-4 and a CT-1. I'll do some experiment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let me know what you find out, but from what ive read you cant use two 60 CT heads (of any type) together.

Can anybody confirm if the mecatwin 402 or 402T (whast the diff?) will fire on a 60 CT pack? Right now my 60 CT4 is just a tad too weak to overpower direct sunlight.....not enough so that it would warrant carrying a whole nother pack and head, but if a mecatwin works....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you need that much more flash, why not just get another Metz 60? I got two 60 CT-1's and have all the flash I need.......have you considered that? Or another smaller Metz to add into the mix. I now what you are trying to do is really cool, but so much of the specialized cables and obscure stuff can be so hard to find at times.......

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    The Mecatwin unit has its own built-in capacitor, and thus can be plugged into the power pack. Recyle times are longer, because the battery has to charge two heads. Just buy another Metz 60, and have two heads each powered buy its own power pack. For $75 USD, you can buy Lithium Ion batteries from SabaOceanic in Malaysia that are WAY better than the Metz brand batteries. These recently introduced Lithium Ion batteries have 7.2 Volts and 7000 mAh power, to make recycle times faster and last longer before they need recharging. They also recharge faster than the SLA Metz batteries. They each come with a charger, and can be charged outside the power pack, or by just increasing (with a file) the slot in the Metz power pack's slotted door, they can be charged in the power pack, BUT NOT with the Metz charger. One other plus is how light the Lithium Ion batteries are. They feel about a third of the weight of SLA batteries.
    Many Metz 60 users will be surprised that the standard-issue Metz Sealed Lead Acid batteries are only 80% charged when the red light on the power pack goes out, and it takes another SIX hours of charging to bring the Metz batteries up to 100%. That is why it isn't a good idea to buy or rely on used Metz batteries - they have likely been unintentionally abused by constant undercharging and low-charge use. Same for your own batteries if you have not read and remembered the Metz instructions about charging for SIX hours after the red light goes out. Most Metz batteries are therefore by now damaged, and new ones left over in warehouses are damaged due to long storage conditions. Metz' electronic designers dropped the ball in designing a charge system that is anti-intuitive, encouraging consistent undercharging.
    Happily, the new Lithium Ion batteries from SabaOceanic have a smarter charger, with a light that turns from red to green when the charge is complete, besides being faster.
    I strongly recommend the Lithium Ion batteries from here on out, giving the Metz 60 a whole new dimension of reliability and recycle time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin