Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,349   Online: 758

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mecablitz Metz 45 CL-4

Hello there,

I have this flash, non-digital version planning to use with Olympus OM cameras. Can I use NiMH batteries for this flash.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the 45 CL-3 and have been using Sanyo Eneloop batteries in it (which are NiMH so I am led to believe). I haven't had any drama's with it thus far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I was only worried about the voltage difference 1.5v - 1.2v NiMH and Alkaline.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look into the battery compartment you'll see there are different contacts. The 1.5 V battery packs use a different set of contacts than the original NiCd-packs. Try to find the NiCd packs and resolder them with NiMH and you'll be alright.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday, I looked into it and found it has three pins. One of the pin goes into to dummy of the battery basket 45-39.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking at the packs now. You are right, if you look at them with the U-shaped edge towards you both use the contact at the bottom for the + side of the battery. The 1.5 v alkaline pack uses the top right contact for - and the 1.2 v pack uses the contact above and to the left of the + contact as -. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi!

I have the CT-1 and CT-4 (same power, same batteries). I modified mine to use the alkaline holder but feed the current in the Ni-Cd/NiMH circuitry. It involves opening it, de-soldering two wires and soldering one back. Any competent electronics enthusiast can do it for you.
    NiMH work on the alkaline circuitry, but due to the lower voltage the max power will decrease by a bit. If you don't need max power from it, use it as it is.

Btw, congrats on the choice, you will not regret it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instead of modifying or soldering, are there any battery basket available to use NiMH. If it is too complicated I will use alkaline battery since I shoot seldom with flash.

But, I like photos with bounce flash esp., PanF+ or any slow speed film developed with Rodinal Stand.

Shooter
    35mm
    The modification is not needed. I chose to do it.
    Metz warns against using rechargeables in the battery pack. I used them with no issues whatsoever. Of course, they would like to sell you their expensive pack and dedicated charger

So long story short, use rechargables in the battery basket and be done with it. You might loose some of the maximum output, but that shouldn't be an issue. The power on that thing is huge even by today's standards.
    Or buy dedicated rechargables/charger from Metz, but they are quite expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will put my eneloops to charge, lets see how it goes on tomorrow.

Yeah, I was looking hot shoe flashes very hard before I discover this hammer head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin