Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,170   Online: 749

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mecatwin 30, got something for me?

Bought two mecatwin 30 heads, for converting even more hotshoe-flashes into armatar-frankenflashes. Does anybody know the J/s (W) rating for these? I guess the GN is 30?

There is a scale on the back on one of them stating that 1.9 m 'Entfernung' would require 'blende' 22 with 21/10 DIN film. So would I be right that ASA 100 film would require f/41.8 at 1 m, hence GN would be roughly 42? Hmm. Suddenly the mecatwin 30 name doesn't add up.

Here's a photo if you don't know what I'm talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130834901_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	40894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the plugs on them could fit into the second head connector found on Metz 60CT series 1 or 2 version of the pack and head flash sets. to provide a fill flash.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I think the plugs on them could fit into the second head connector found on Metz 60CT series 1 or 2 version of the pack and head flash sets. to provide a fill flash.
    Thanks. Already butchered them. The reflectors are the parts I wanted, and nice reflectors they are too. Not the usual big hole in the middle circle of the parabol, but rather a small hole for just the cables to the bulb. Perfect. Now I just need to make a big hole in the center of the reflector to allow a bulb shaped flash tube. Moahahahaha!

Tried the bulb with a GN 36 hotshoe auto flash. Works. Nice colour temp too. Now I'll see if the bulbs can pass the double capacitor test. Rite of passage...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So here it is. Camera flash which I christened 'The Bomb' mark I. It's got 200 joules in the caps, takes 6 seconds to fully load after 1/1 blast with my DIY HV-pack, and will soon be manually controllable to very small amounts (via the classical hack of exchanging the photodiode to potentiometer). The pack can theoretically deliver 139 fullblasts, in reality more likely less. So far so good, I'm only $20 in. Also need to fix a way of attaching the reflector. By magnets or velcro maybe? Also gonna replace the electrical tape with some bent plastic... Oh, forgot, I was out of DIN-housing sockets, had to use a cord socket instead, will also be upgraded in mark II.

Nice things are that it got tilt and swivel and that the foot has an mini-tele-socket for a sync-cable. Perfect for a radio trigger cord.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin