Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,722   Online: 892

Shooter
    Multi Format

Some graflite questions

Hi All,
    I have a set up of 2, 3 cel, graflites and 2 extensions. I have been told/read that the extensions should be no more than 15' from the master unit. Does that sound right?

How far, on average, can I run the shutter sync cable to the main unit without loss of signal? I will be using PC to household homemade cable.

Thanks in adavance

david
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Much of the loss will occur in the PC cable. It should not be too long. A household cable can have heavy enough conductors to be used at fairly long distances. I can't find any specific recommendations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jim, I gues we will need to try it out and see how it works.
    david
    Atlanta, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Electricity only travels at the speed of light so you don't want it too long!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Electricity only travels at the speed of light so you don't want it too long!

Steve.
    Well, electricity doesn't really travel at the speed of light. The effective wavefront propagates at the speed of light, but the electrons wander around far more leisurely. Much depends on the effective cross section of the conductor.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    O.K. But it goes fast enough for us not to worry about it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the point of the question is that signal loss will happen over distance thus not triggering the bulbs.
    david
    Atlanta, GA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin