Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,751   Online: 1010

Thread: Lighting Styles

Shooter
    35mm

Lighting Styles

I'm new here, just wanted to say hello. Lighting is my thing and shooting as well. I would love to hear some cool styles and new ways of lighting.
    Thanks
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Tell us more about your lighting style, I use natural light for about 90% of what I shoot be it 35mm, MF or LF. If you have an expertise in this area there are plenty of folks here that would like to read about it. You might also consider becoming a subscriber so that we can see your work. Go into your profile and let us know where you are, there might be another member in your area.

Joel
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply, I'm a old film user and do digital as well. I use a tripod 95% of the time to grab my images, for the simple fact of having more choices for exposures, which I'm sure you know. My style is using available light and make it work. I always carry a mono head with me and a roll of full tungsten gel to blend my images for the right color balance, even if I convert to black and white. But natural light is the best and I use white rip stop nylon on a 4 by 8 frame to help filter my light.
    How about yourself?
    Thanks'
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the 10% that I shoot that may need a flash I just use a couple of cheap remote units with Vivitar 285 flashes and those positioned low/behind and up bounced out of white (not silver) umbrellas to fill. I use a dark background behind most models. When we built our house, I purposely faced the front windows to gather northern light so on those days when the light coming is strong enough I ditch the flashes. I find that the overhead light in my studio/living room is just enough that all I need is a touch of fill from bellow to even out the tonal range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good Morning Joel,

Yes sometimes just the flash help the subject out and put a little twinkle in the eyes are light up the shadows little bit. I have a tip for you, go to your fabric store and buy some ripstop nylon make a frame out of PVC
    4 x 8 size and attach your fabric to it. It than becomes a much broader light source but still quite soft. sounds like your studio has great light, , portrait student normally shoot?
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about "cool", but on location (model) shoots, I use my Canon speedlights with pocketwizards, attached to tripods with umbrellas to punch up the scene.

Here are a couple of shots, using available light and one flash unit on an umbrella (Equipment was a Canon 1v and TMax100 film).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4af82ff781bdf.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	42003

and

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4b0043e921061.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	42004

Other than that, I have only used available light with my medium formats yet (I am new at this, owned the medium format cameras for just about 1 month or so).

I prefer overcast weather for non-flash shots, you can see some on my blog here:
    http://helino-photo.blogspot.com/201...um-format.html

=)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you haven't already, you should get the book "light: science & magic" by Hunter, Biver & Fuqua. It is quit enlightening (pun alert). It's a good book with a lot of info. My first copy got so dog eared that I had to buy another. Sometimes I forget what I know and have to go back and remind myself that I knew this or that but I use the trick of making the light source larger with fabric a lot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin