Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,590   Online: 1140

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotmeter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Spotmeter

I am looking for a good spotmeter. The problem is that because it is a financed purchase, it has to come from a store in the EU. I had my eye on either a dedicated spot like the Zone VI modified Pentax or a Gossen one or a Sekonic one multi-function.
    If I get the Sekonic it will probably replace my Gossen ambient meter.
    The project that I will be getting it for will be nature and landscape, both color and BW.
    If the price is simular, would a dedicated spot do a better job than a multi-fuction meter and where can I find them in EU?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try Calumet (an APUG sponsor), they have stores in the UK, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. Just click the banner link or visit the Sponsors page.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A search through the archives will show a few good threads on spotmeters.

The comparatively new Sekonic L-558 looks very good. I have the ciné model of its predecessor, the L-508, and the only disadvantage of that is the lack of a readout in the viewfinder. The L-558 remedies that with a good viewfinder display. I don't think that the L-558 can be used with the Booster II, as the L-508 can, but that might not be important to you.

I think that the only drawback of the combined models is that there is the possibility of taking what you think is an incident reading when you have it switched to spot, or vice versa. The puzzling behaviour of the meter alerts ditzy airheads like me to this error. Well, most of the time anyway.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a dedicated spot and the Sekonic 508 multi function spot meters. Go with the dedicated spot meter. You won't have to flip open the bottom and change little tiny switches to get it to do what you want. I am a true believer in KISS (keep it simple stupid) The sekonic has everything but a built in bathroom, and is a pain in the backside to figure out most times.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with my Gossen Starlight - easy to use, acurate, more functions than I need - most of the time! But they're there when I DO need them.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have an old Soligor Spot Sensor that I paid $50.00 for at a local shop when Zone VI was still in business. I sent to them to modify and clean and works fine. Net net, I paid $225 for what is now a $500.00 item.

Try Ebay.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Soligor Spot II with a zone sticker around the barrel (makes life easy for those of us who think more visually than numerically). I only started using a spot a few weeks ago for the first time and will never look back. I am nailing every single exposure with that meter, very happy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I only started using a spot a few weeks ago for the first time and will never look back. I am nailing every single exposure with that meter, very happy
    What were you doing before?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    usually just pointing my camera meter at something to get an avg exposure then going from there and bracketing a few frames. Worked ok, but now I am using polaroid negs which are expensive so need every shot to count, so far so good..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    usually just pointing my camera meter at something to get an avg exposure then going from there and bracketing a few frames. Worked ok, but now I am using polaroid negs which are expensive so need every shot to count, so far so good..
    Hmm... I usually use a 1/3° spotmeter, although when the light is changing fast (or I'm just lazy) I'll use my Nikon N80 as a meter. I works because I shoot almost exclusively Velvia F100 in either camera. If you have access to it, try Jack Dykinga's "Large Format Nature Photography". It has an excellent chapter on LF metering.

I wonder how many other LF shooters use a 35mm as a light meter?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin