Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,067   Online: 880

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does the Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital flash work with both Nikon F5 and Hasselblad?

Hi

As some of you know, I am amdist a bit of an equipment revamp.

Anyway, long story short, I have one remaining Nikon F5 and I am hoping to soon buy a Hasselblad 503CW, or perhaps a Hasselblad 501C/M. I don't have a flash gun (because my Nikon SB800 was stolen)

I am looking to buy a replacement flash that will work well (even if the odd minor feature does not) with BOTH cameras. The METZ range seems popular. Specifically, according to the Metz compatiability section, the "Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital" gun works with both the F5 and the Hasselblad 503CW range (no mention of the 501C\M range).

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/pr...4-digital.html

Can anyone here tell me of any "Gothya's" that I might need to be aware of? Any pitfalls that others might know of? I read mention of the 'non-digital version', which is cheaper second hand, but I not sure if there's any issues there? The digital version apparantly supports the 3D matrix metering of the Nikon F5 and others.

I note there is a "Basic" and "Kit" version - kit version comes with the adapters that are needed, I think.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There aren't really any "compatibility issues" with the older 501 Hasselblads, because they don't have any automation functions that interface with any flash.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Metz 45 CL and CT's work in TTL function with both the 503CW and F5, if you desire to use TTL.
    501 you just need the pc cord, no TTL.

For the 503CW you need the SCA390/300 adapter.
    Forgot the name of the one for the F5.

Shooter
    35mm
    for the F5 it's the SCA 3000C cord and SCA 3402 adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi peeps

I have an FC312 'off camera' cable that I use (used) my Nikon F5 and SB800 with (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixel-Versio...5262004&sr=8-1) for off camera lighting. I assume that won't work with this flash and I'd still need the SCA3000C and SCA3402 adapter as Chan states above? I only ask because they are about £50 each (variable) so that's another £100 on top of the cost of the flash, unless I happen to get one that includes them.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The results you'll get between the 2 systems will vary greatly. While I no longer shoot with a 503, I found its TTL system very limited compared to the Nikon TTL system. You're far more likely to get less balanced fill with the 503 TTL system. I personally feel you're better off using Nikon TTL, but shooting the Hasselblad with the Metz in manual mode, and just using appropriate light modifiers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Metz 45 Digital is needed for its preflash capability which is needed to support digital camera TTL (iTTL, dTTL, eTTL, etc) which the older Metz 45 cannot do.

The Metz 3000C is an adapter which allows the use of an appropriate Metz SCA 3000 module (3102 for Canon, 3402 for Nikon). The 3000C is not used with SCA 300 units, like the 390 for Hassy TTL bodies, the 356 for Bronica TTL bpodies.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin