Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,630   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just concerned that people will look at the "film only" angle and think they're more interested in promoting film use (a good thing) rather than advancing important issues. I'm just relating my experience with people who look at this type of work and who have a say in whether these things are a go or no go. Getting people on board with documentary work and funding is hard enough for even established photographers, that throwing in something that could be seen as irrelevant, might be counter productive.

I think if it was a collective where the majority "happen to shoot film", well that would be another thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We sell 10 to one fiber prints to each digital.

Don

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    I'm just concerned that people will look at the "film only" angle and think they're more interested in promoting film use (a good thing) rather than advancing important issues. I'm just relating my experience with people who look at this type of work and who have a say in whether these things are a go or no go. Getting people on board with documentary work and funding is hard enough for even established photographers, that throwing in something that could be seen as irrelevant, might be counter productive.

I think if it was a collective where the majority "happen to shoot film", well that would be another thing.

Agree that any sort of restrictive/prohibitive condition about film use is counterproductive. Too much tension here already whenever mention of any aspect of hybrid workflow brings on charges of heresy. The OP still needs to repost this to the Canadian boards soon.

I like the idea but have no clue how many around the GTA would participate. It's the sort of shooting I enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    We sell 10 to one fiber prints to each digital.

Don
    Fair enough but what the OP wants to do is different from selling art in a gallery. My understanding is that he doesn't want a collective of nature/ landscape photographers. He wants to do documentary work and for this, film is going to be a hard sell unless you're a known quantity.

I count among my friends and colleagues, editors (WPP judge for example) and photographers (VII, an independent but award winner, etc) and telling them you shoot on film isn't going to register. Honestly, they're going to think if that's your main selling point, you have a lot of work to do before you can talk to them again. Are they shooting film as well, most are but they move between film and digital depending on the project they're working on. Hell, some are even using the film cameras I sold them.

TPTB want to see good work and they don't care if you used a D3 or an MP.

I applaud the OP for wanting to get a group of like minded photographers together but to become a quality collective that will make a difference, you're going to have to go up against other Canadian collectives like Boreal or Rogue, both of which have a deep talent pool and both of which put the work produced, ahead of the kind of camera they use.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The OP's pitch is obviously preliminary and tentative. Doubt he's anticipating a big league production. Working on a hyper-local basis is one approach. The self-segregation of analog is just plain offbeat for this kind of photography to many. It's a WIP right now.If he won't post to the Canada regional boards, then it's not going to go anywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CGW...I have requested the thread to be shifted/merged/moved to a more appropriate place as you have suggested.

As for the film-only issue. The idea of the collective is not to compete against other Canadian collectives -it's to embrace the aesthetics of film developing and printing as a seperate (yet similar) fine art. And if someone who shoots digital wants to be part of a collective, they have more than enough to chose from or they can start their own. I don't have any evidence on this point, but I suspect a lot of collectives embrace digital for it's speedy workflow and web presence and have little patience for the film photographers who need a month to get a negative scanned or printed. I completely buy into the theory that "a good shot is a good shot" whether it's on an iPhone, pinhole camera or a Leica. Also, the point of the group is to have more gallery presence, which is what I stated before -not to approach newspapers or anything like that. The photographers can obviously choose whatever they want to shoot with for certain projects, but the presence and context in which I would want to present to galleries and on the web would be film in nature. I'm also not out to create a quality collective that is destined for fame and fortune. I want a collective of film photographers that pools in knowledge, support, equipment, ideas, etc. to further our own film-shooting agenda and have a lot of fun doing it. The documentaries do not have to be hard news topics. I'm doing a body of work on the lives of the homeless youth at the shelter I work at, without showing them -using only the architecture and their belongings/rooms/lockers. Subsequently, others can do a body of work on their town, a forest they like visiting, a year-long camping trip, igloos...whatever. We don't need any groundbreaking work here. But if someone is doing something great, I don't think doing it on film will hinder it getting out to the public. In fact, the collective would prop up the exposure if anything. If they shot it on digital for whatever reason, well...they will likely have their own site for that if they're serious enough to cover those kinds of topics.

Basically, I'm not saying the photographer only has to shoot digital, but as a collective, we would be only showcasing work that is done on film. Because our main focus would be a fine-art perspective on documentary photography with the aesthetics of film, we would be focusing on galleries and the like to display those works. We know we're not gonna get rich or famous or that we will be big or produce ground-breaking work in international media (like VII or Magnum), we're just doing this to push one another, pool resources, bounce around ideas and get as creative as we possibly can with film. However, you do have a good point in that if we do look for funding as a collective for a big project that could be done cheaper with digital, we may run into problems.

Also, I think a major point of having a group of film users is that collectively we can be more supportive and helpful with each other's art. What am I going to do to possibly help someone shooting digital? What is someone in the collective who shoots digital going to do to help me? There's no mutual relationship there. Someone might be doing amazing work, but lacks in a certain skill like scanning negs, which is something I can do to help out on my night shifts when I have downtime. Subsequently, if they have a lot of extra paper, they could ship some over to me to print. We can't help each other as well if we have completely different workflows.

A lot of good points are raised about it being film-only, so thanks canuhead...I genuinely appreciate it. It's made me think a little harder about the whole thing.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    CGW...I have requested the thread to be shifted/merged/moved to a more appropriate place as you have suggested.

Jeesh, what's wrong with a DIY repost on the Canadian boards??? If you won't, I will.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are considering soliciting funds or other revenue sources, you'll need to look at what entity form you will need or could be beneficial. You may be able to qualitfy the entity as a not-for-profit either under the Federal or Provincial registrations but would need to research as the Federal statutes related to a not-for-profit have recently been tabled for new legislation and Provinces hve varying requirements including requirements for audits if revenues exceed some amount. Last time I read Ontario's legislation, the threshhold for an audit was $125,000 in gross revenues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Revenues? $125,000? Damn Brian....you have higher hopes about this than I do! That's a good idea, but imagine we would be "for profit" unless the money we made was pumped back into the collective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi from Montreal. I don't know if any of my work would qualify, but it's essentially an ongoing urban landscape/architectural study of Montreal.

Anyhow I'm curious to see where this goes. It would be neat to be part of some kind of Canadian collective. Montreal is probably the most photography-dead city in North America.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin