Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,858   Online: 829

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Per Volquartz Zion Large Format Workshop

I just returned from Per Volquartz' Zion workshop. Had to leave early because of a business commitment . Well what can I say? Perfect weather. Uncapturable grandeur! Great, great folks! My thanks to Per for his continued efforts in support of large format photography.

APUG was well represented. Aggie, the "locale expert" provided valuable guidance to the less traveled locations and gave up the sanctity of her motel room for our Jobo processor & pyro development demonstration.

jmoore travelled all the way from Des Moines to join the group. It was great to meet him in person.

On the "Prodigal Son's Scene"
    I met a new-to-LF commercial photographer from Southern California. He uses digital at work. He bought Korona's, a 4x5 and an 8x10, to restore. He brought the 4x5, along with a restored Reis Model C tripod to shoot "film again" !!The camera and tripod were gorgeous. Great guy!! I am excited to see his shots!

A very experienced commercial pro, who also went digital, brought a newly acquired Wisner 8x10 Technical to "get back to film". He travelled all the way from Toronto.

Our farthest distance travelled
    A returning workshop veteran from Sweden, now working in Australia, brought his newly acquired pocket view... a Toyo G 8x10...all 19 pounds. An evil aussie wind lifted him and his Gandolfi 8x10 field camera ungracefully on their collective butts. The Gandolfi needs repairs, but his backside is reputed to have fully mended, but not the wallet area!

Again, thank you to John, J&C, for supporting the workshop with film purchase discounts. Hope more Apugger's can join next time!!

Cheers,
    Geary
    Last edited by galyons; 11-18-2004 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure when the next one is, but if it's over a summer break (I'm still in University) then I plan on driving out!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Geary,

It was a pleasure to meet you and all of the others who attended the workshop. It was so much fun and I will be back next year.

Jeremy,

I believe that the next "Week Long" workshop is planed for May in Oregon. I am going to try to attend that one too and make it a family vacation. If there is any way that you can make it you will not regret it.

When I arrived last Saturday I was ready to give up on large format. But after spending nearly a week shooting with the 8x10 and getting help from all the great people in attendance I have went from pure frustration to being completely comfortable with it. My first shot with the 8x10 last Saturday took me nearly 15 minutes to set up and make an exposure. The last shot that I took today was at sunset in rapidly changing light and I setup, exposed, and had the camera put away in around 5 minutes. I call that great progress and I owe it all the the workshop.

Per is a wonderful man. Very knowledgable and very willing to share that knowledge with anyone wishing to learn.

The highlight of the week for me was today when Per sat down with me for over an hour to look at my prints. When I left for the workshop last week I was in such a hurry I forgot to bring my portfolio. I had my wife ship some of my prints to me and they arrived today. Per took the time to look at them and explained what he liked about each of them and offered advice on how I can print them even stronger. How often do we have an opportunity to receive such feedback on our work from a master photographer/printer? This alone made the trip worth it.

As Geary said Aggie was of great help. She gave me the "Ten Cent Tour" (her words) of the park to show me some of the better spots. She also was a taxi driver throughout the week for myself and several others when needed. She had the door to her room open for anyone wanting to develop film, change out film holders, etc. But the best thing she done for us was to arrange unlimited access to the ghost town in Grafton.

I would like to give a big public thank you to Per, Aggie, and everyone else (including JandC for their generous discount they gave to people who attended) for their efforts.

I look forward to next May and seeing everyone again.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Jeremy,
    I believe that the next "Week Long" workshop is planed for May in Oregon. I am going to try to attend that one too and make it a family vacation. If there is any way that you can make it you will not regret it.
    Oregon, can't he have one closer to Texas? Didn't you read the word "drive"

I've got a while from now until next May so I will just start setting some aside some extra cash so that I can save up the airfare.

blog
    website

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim,
    I talked to 2 guys yesterday (Frank and Mark) as they drove home from the workshop. They mentioned you and how much fun they had. Glad you kept the 8x10.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Jim,
    .... Glad you kept the 8x10.

lee\c
    Ditto Jim..and Thanks for the update from you and Geary.

Doesn't anyone want to go to White Sands or somewhere closer to Texas
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Doesn't anyone want to go to White Sands or somewhere closer to Texas
    I concur, Mike, I was planning on driving to California, but now they're going even further north to Oregon!

blog
    website

Images
    I got the same problem. Too far away. I went to Zion on saturday but did not do the workshop thingy, I was only able to be there for part of the day Saturday. Here is an idea: How about we folks who can't afford to get to these free workshops and live in the dersert SW plan to meet somewhere around this region and maybe learn from each other.

By the way. If the week was as beautiful, in Zion, as Saturday was, I am so jealous and curse GW doubly for his cuts in education spending.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, Zion will now be an annual event. I guess per fell in love with Grafton. Wait until he sees Alton and another Ghost town up in the hills behind Orderville. Then we have the first breaks of Cedar Breaks, Navajo Lake and its lava tube waterfall, Bristlecone pine forest, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Shakespearan costume models........ I could keep you all shooting for a month and not hit all the spots.

I will be working with some of the places in Springdale to get the best rates for those who would like to attend. I understand that Geary wants to handle the educational end of it. I can handle the locations and facility arrangements, and Per well he is the pro. He is such a wonderful person who is very genrous with his time and expertise.

Geary you forgot Jason and Sharon. They are also apuggers.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did anyone shoot color, or was all the work in B&W?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin