Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,249   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    yup, just bring lots of Speights!
    If you bring Speights then I'm coming, even if I have to take a row-boat.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Hey, if the conference is on May of 2006 I am in! Seems like a good fun idea and I need to put faces to those people in my ignore list...
    Think of how much more fun it would be to ignore people in person.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    I would like to see one here in May Toronto 2006 - in conjunction with our annual Contact Photographic Festival.
    I second this idea. For those that don't know about the Contact Festival, here's a link: http://www.contactphoto.com/

Another benefit: $1 CAD = $0.84 USD = 0.63 Euros = 0.44 GBP (from the Bank of Canada currency exchange webpage)

Those interested in finding out more about Toronto should check out: http://www.toronto.com/. It's not the official Toronto website, but is managed by Canada's largest newspaper, The Toronto Star.

Some hotels I'd recommend are:
    http://www.germaintoronto.com/
    http://www.fairmont.com/royalyork/
    http://toronto.lemeridien.com/
    http://www.fourseasons.com/toronto/
    http://www.windsorarmshotel.com/
    There's also a Hyatt, a Sheraton, an Intercontinental, a Westin on the harbourfront, and a Hilton in downtown. For an inexpensive, but nice hotel, the one's I'd recommend are the Holiday Inn on King Street and the Courtyard Marriott Downtown. I don't know about the other inexpensive hotels, so I can't vouch for them.

Airfare to Toronto is also pretty inexpensive if you book 'Tango' at least two weeks ahead of time on Air Canada. Booking online directly will get you the cheapest rates. For example booking now for May 13 to 16 will cost $76+taxes and fees one way from Newark, $138 from LA, $111 from Chicago. I'd wait about two months before though to get even better rates and last minute deals, when the tickets go on sale and stuff. I go to Toronto every month and I've had tickets a low as $57 one way from Newark and $72 from Chicago.

Toronto is my home town, so I can tell you that there is fine dining in several neighbouhoods like the Danforth, Little Italy, Old China Town, Little India, the Theatre District, Queen West, Bloor West Village, the Beaches, the Annex and more.

There's also lots to do besides food and photography (speaking of which you can see my photography at the newly opened Toronto Calphalon Culinary School - a shill I know, my bad) - Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, clubs, theatres, bars, live music, shopping, touristy stuff, etc... Plus I can tell you where you can get the best Alberta Grade A beef, Quebecois poutine and beaver tails. Something I definitely recommend.

Just PM me if there is anything you need to know about Toronto, where to stay, what to do, where to eat.

Regards, Art. (I assume you meant 2005? 2006 is a long wait!)
    Last edited by gr82bart; 12-02-2004 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Hi Wayne

If Mr Callow is interested in being President, and I can see he is very good at allocating his resources- Me as VP - I think I would give up my facilitys for a Long Weekend Work shop here in Toronto.
    I have put some ideas together on how this would work and I am up to it , if there is a serious amount of Interest.
    Contact Photography Festival - May 2006 - Toronto , Ont, Canada.
    please email me at bob@elevatordigital.ca.

Over the next few weeks I will see by the emails if there is enough interest.
    I will post a thread with the results , and as well my thoughts on how this thing can run with Mr Callows help of course. and others.

The infrastructure for running this kind of event catering to photographers is quite good during this annual festival in May.
    Who else is game???
    Yes I believe we are all talking about May 2005. That should give more then enough time for anyone to save. On top of it a general fund could be put in place to reserve a ballroom in a hotel for a weekend event. We should be able to entice enough reps and speakers to have a nice event, and if we play it right, sellers could cover our cost and Seans airfare at that. (we should make sure of that last item) We'll need a list of ideas for the conference and do a survey off that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would love to come, but it looks too expensive for me right now (just the plane ticket round trip from Dallas is ~$450 after taxes)--I'm saving for the next Per workshop. Will look and see if I have enough points to fly to both for free
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Conference

Wayne-we're talking about MAY '06! Talked to Bob today and he is certainly a very together person. We have plenty of time to pull this together in the proper manner. Toronto is a beautiful city and the photo activities will only add to the excitement. Let's keep this post active
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Would love to come, but it looks too expensive for me right now (just the plane ticket round trip from Dallas is ~$450 after taxes)--I'm saving for the next Per workshop. Will look and see if I have enough points to fly to both for free
    Just received an offer to be picked up in New York and driven the rest of the way which makes my cost for the entire trip around that of a plane ticket to Toronto. I'm planning on attending if this gets off the ground.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Wayne-we're talking about MAY '06!
    Keeping this post active for a get-together in 18 months! Is there any reason why it can't be May 2005 which is far more reasonable? Is it just me ... ?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Keeping this post active for a get-together in 18 months! Is there any reason why it can't be May 2005 which is far more reasonable? Is it just me ... ?

Art.
    18 months is a long time, but hopefully it will help those who live on the other continents and islands more time to plan, save, and working on convincing loved ones about the "I know it's a lot of $ but I must attend". The More the Merrier! And to be ignored by Jorge [u}in person[/U] would be a silent honour! If it was in the US or Mexico, I may be able to make it next year. If it was held in Europe, I'd need a couple years to make arrangements and save. If it was in Oz or NZ, I'd need even longer! If anyone wants to meet in May '05 or sooner (or anytime for pics and food and beer), I'm up for it, but May '06 will be the "Toronto APUG Conference"
    Hopefully this will get the ball rolling and we'll see more in the future!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    If you bring Speights then I'm coming, even if I have to take a row-boat.
    I have a canoe you can borrow. I'll even throw in a spare paddle and some film of your choice, but I will want a print...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin