Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,031   Online: 736

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rachelle,Andrew ,Steve, I just got back from mailing three prints,should take about 2 weeks to reach you,they're all different.I worked with about 8 negatives and finally decided on a different one for each person.Steve your print arrived on Thursday of this week,and I'm enjoying it!It's a beautifully toned print with a timeless quality to it.It has the feel of an early morning shot ,though there seems to be a lot going on under the concrete overhang-is this a restaurant?i'm gonna go and look some more-thanks,Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Small Print Exchange - Round 4

Hi Alan, it's actually a passenger ferry jetty that takes people across to the mainland just about a 10 minute ride. Looking forward to receiving your print.
    Regards
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxBrownie View Post
    Just a note to tell Group 1:
    Rachelle ,Andrew and Alan that my prints are done and going in the post tomorrow.
    Best Regards,
    Steve B
    Steve thanks I received your lovely print "Down by the Jetty" today. It's a lovely moody photo which, for me, juxtaposes material decay with a spirit of hope. The building is run-down and moldy, as you note; yet the man appears to be looking out to the misty river with expectation, not despair. He stands erect and his clean white shirt evokes pride, not surrender to the decay which surrounds him. The boat appears to be in good condition, and is perhaps a passenger ferry or tour boat with which he earns his living. The tonality supports this interpretation, ranging from high key in the river, with just sufficient definition to give a tantalizing glimpse of the opposite bank, to the darker, brooding foreground. The toning gives it a vintage look; my wife commented that it should be accompanied by Ella Fitzgerald's rendition of "Summertime". All in all a most memorable print, enhanced by the detailed description of your process that accompanied it - thank you!

I have to admit that I have not yet made my prints. However I have a week's leave coming up over Easter and promise to spend a couple of days in the darkroom and get them out.

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    My prints were mailed today. Both go overseas, so it'll likely be a while before they show up.

Mike
    Your print arrived while I was in the U.S.A (next time I'll come to pick it up ;-) ), and it's gorgeous !!!

Many thanks for this !
    Last edited by Laurent; 03-26-2013 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan, your print arrived yesterday and I love it! The boy, the framing, it all works. It has a bit of a timeless quality to it -- thanks so much!

My prints have been done for a while but I was gone on vacation and now busy with the beginning of a school year, but I have finally been able to securely wrap and label them, and they'll all be in the mail tomorrow morning.

Cheers.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rachelle,this is a beautiful print.The paper suits the hie-nice shadow detail here.I'm curious as to what type of tree this is.It's got folds in it that make it look like a blanket.The whole thing looks almost like a stage prop-a wonderful photo-thanks a lot!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Alan! I'm no expert on trees, but I think it's a banyan tree. The entire temple complex is full of them!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Mine went to the post office today. Oh sigh, sorry that it took so long.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A deligtful kallitype landed in my mailbox on Saturday, from Ruediger.
    That is ultra strange , because we do not get Saturday postal delivery.
    I speculate it went to a neighbour, who dropped it off while we were out.

I like the framing of the baseball, snugged up to flower or weed, and with the way that the stiching is oriented.

Then there is the print itself. Nice contrast, and range of tones.

I am glad you documented it is a pinhole image, becuase I would have never guessed that at first or subsequent viewings.
    I guess that is one more project to add ot the long and growing 'I have to try that someday' list.

I like how you have overcoated, and set the image within the larger part of the paper. The torn edges only enhance the hand made motif this image already has.

Another one to be framed and hung in the back hall. I think I will set this one out of direct sunlight though.
    I am not sure of the archival nature of your toner, and I want to keep this image around for discussing for a good long time in top shape.
    my real name, imagine that.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Thanks for the kind comments Mike. I am glad it arrived safe and, well, I am glad that you like it.

The toner I used is a sulfite toner, so the result should be pretty stable. But I do not have any long term experiences. Next time when I talk to Wolfgang Moersch I will ask him about that toner and toning kallitypes. I used it mostly because I like what it does to the image tone of the kallitype as it shifts image tone a little bit to the neutral side.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin