Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,986   Online: 852

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sent you a PM here on APUG with my answers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliLehtonen View Post
    I'm doing my examination paper to get my bachelor's degree in graphic design on my university, and we were allowed to choose a subject within graphic design or photography. In other words I chose this subject myself, because I think there's a lack of research on this matter and also because people in general (including my teachers) seem to have the idea that people don't shoot analogically anymore. I'm actually surprised that there has been five–seven surveys like this in the past six months, since it's been super tricky to find similar research reports to refer to. Most are about digital photography.
    Hi Heli,
    I posted my answers before. Could you please post your end results & conclusions here for us to read? Should be interesting.
    Thanks,
    Bert from Holland

BTW: if you really want to read about the inner circle stuff, check this Word Journal of Post-Factory Photography about the historical photographic methods from before 1900 still being alive (very analogue indeed).
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 05-15-2013 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators may move it to another category!

I just wanted to check if someone around here wanted to answer some questions about analog photography for a project I'm doing in school? That would be cool. The answers will be treated anonymously.

Questions:
    1. Age and gender
    61 male

2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case?
    Shot professionally in the past, just for personal enjoyment these days

3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)?
    was given my first camera in 1962

4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most.
    Olympus OMs -1, 2, and 4, Mamiya C-330 and C-220 with several lenses, Kodak Tourist 6x8 folder, B&J Watson 4x5 with assorted lenses, several 4x5 home made cameras

5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case?
    Have been developing film since 1963, have had Jobos, slot processors, different drum systems, mainly stick to manual tank developing.

6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question)
    I shoot film because I love printing photos

7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for?
    I think the playing field is even

8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future?
    Definitly, till the day I die(or there is no more film left to shoot)

If you also shoot digitally:
    only to display items for sale online

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically?
    99%

10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically?
    I'm a Ludite

11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more?
    No

You can answer directly in the thread or post me a message, whatever works. Thanks in advance!
    /Heli
    Good luck with your research, and welcome to Apug.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators may move it to another category!

I just wanted to check if someone around here wanted to answer some questions about analog photography for a project I'm doing in school? That would be cool. The answers will be treated anonymously.

Questions:
    1. Age and gender - 84 M
    2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? not any longer
    3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? 1937
    4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most. 5x7 Deardorf, 8x10 Wehman, 7x17 . Hasselblad
    5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? Yes.tray, tank, or Jobo depending on the needs of the film
    6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question)I have been at it over 70 years and see no reason to move to a very inferior process now.
    7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? I photograph whatever strikes my fancy on a particular day.
    8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? Absolutely

If you also shoot digitally:
    9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically? None
    10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? Digital images lack the feeling of presence which is common to a good analog print.
    11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? More time,energy and strength.

You can answer directly in the thread or post me a message, whatever works. Thanks in advance!
    /Heli
    OK
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    1. 59. M.
    2. Some professionally, local architecture and scenes, automotive material for magazine.
    3. Started analogue 1976, switched to digital 2005, switched mostly back to analogue 2011.
    4. Olympus OM1 (the most), Pentax ME Super, Rollei 35S, several cheap Canon bodies, Olympus lenses, (used with adapters on the Canons.
    5. Yes, standard stuff, HC-110.
    6. Analogue looks more like photographs than digital, found that I was "shotgunning", taking a lot of pictures and hoping one would turn out, don't like spending too much time on front of computer. like to work with my hands.
    7. No, a skilled photographer can get good results with analogue shooting anything.
    8. Yes.
    9. 80%.
    10. "Travel memory" shots, need photos quickly for magazine deadline, reproductions.
    11. No, the only things I shoot digitally are what I have to, or don't care that much about.

Shooter
    Large Format
    1. 63, male
    2. no
    3. 1963
    4. 35mm contax;645 contax;6x6 Hasselblad; 4x5 cambo, zone vi; 8x10 deardorff
    5. yes silver projection; Platinum/palladium
    6. The hand work of it and I am comfortable with it and It does what I want.
    7. suitable for anything; unsuitable, well some things are more difficult but the history of photography shows any thing can be done.
    8.yes
    9 less than 1%
    10 dynamic range of European stained glass churches
    11 time and money
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm doing my examination paper to get my bachelor's degree in graphic design on my university, and we were allowed to choose a subject within graphic design or photography. In other words I chose this subject myself, because I think there's a lack of research on this matter and also because people in general (including my teachers) seem to have the idea that people don't shoot analogically anymore. I'm actually surprised that there has been five–seven surveys like this in the past six months, since it's been super tricky to find similar research reports to refer to. Most are about digital photography.
    Hi,
    check this small film for motivation: http://vimeo.com/65108090
    As he says: "I use large format because it slows you down and it makes you look"
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. male 55
    2. no
    3. 1979
    4. Contax and Zeiss Ikon 35 mm, Zenza Bronica Medium Format; Ikon and Contax, Bronica
    5. No. Used to , but do not have enough time
    6. Less complicated, better results, because of more natural colors (shoot only slide film) and in b&w many choices of film=character.
    Digital camera handbooks more than 50 pages, analog maybe 10! The advantage of digital is speed and high-sensitivity. I do not need that. I have to spend enough time at the computer anyhow. However for prints, I do scan the films, but hardly work on the scans, except dust removal and contrast adjustement as required for the paper used: glossy etc..I love to hold the images in my hands and be able to look at them.
    7. Most is said under 6. In general nature and landscape photography is better on film. In winter I do not have to worry about batteries, because I have one mechanical camera.
    8. I will! I follow the technical developments in the digital world, but feel less and less attracted to it. There is no system, which would meet my requirements. Maybe the very new Leica M bodies, but they are way to expensive for me.

Have fun with your project,
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1. 26, male
    2. no, just amateur
    3. started doing serious photography in 2002 (analog)
    4. Rollei/Hasselblad+several Zeiss lenses. I mostly use the Hasselblad now but only because the Rollei need repair.
    5. B/W I do my own, colour slides go to the lab
    6. It´s fun! Great fun to shoot a slide film and to look at the slides when it comes back from the lab. Great fun to develop your own B/W film.
    I prefer the colour fidelity and colour dept of film over that of digital. I also preferred classic B/W over digital B/W but the digital cameras have
    become quite good in this now. To be honest I would also use a digital back if they were affordable, since these are quite good.
    7. Traffic surveillance :-D No, to be serious I think it is still very convenient for everything you want to have on paper. Digital is easy to look at on the screen, but with analog you can get better matching results especially if you do your own work. It can be a pain to get accurate colour work from digital.
    8. Definitely!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As we don’t know who Heli Lehtonen is, who joined on 05-14-2013, or if her picture is really her, or if anything you read on the net is true. I am surprised so many people have provided such detailed information.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin