Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,403   Online: 739

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Survey about analog photography

Hello everyone! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators may move it to another category!

I just wanted to check if someone around here wanted to answer some questions about analog photography for a project I'm doing in school? That would be cool. The answers will be treated anonymously.

Questions:
    1. Age and gender
    2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case?
    3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)?
    4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most.
    5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case?
    6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question)
    7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for?
    8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future?

If you also shoot digitally:
    9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically?
    10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically?
    11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more?

You can answer directly in the thread or post me a message, whatever works. Thanks in advance!
    /Heli

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ill do some question for you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1. Age and gender > 53 M
    2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? > No
    3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? Analogue '65 onwards. Digital only 2000 - 2008
    4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most. Mainly Olympus OM, Mamiya 645, Yashica TLR. + others
    5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? Y. B&W only. Still learning.
    6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question) >>
    - like to be different
    - enjoy the challenge - sense of achievement
    - good gear is cheap
    - like mechanical things
    - spend too much time on computers
    - longevity - Digi is transient and relies on active backups, Analogue images can still be around in 100 years after laying untouched
    - Enjoy the artistic opportunities
    7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? > No
    8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? > yes

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically? 95% Analog, 5% Digi
    10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? > Sometimes just need an instant snap
    11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? > No

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There has got to be a manual or syllabus which European teachers are using to give class assignments on analogue photography. While I support education (especially higher arts education), there has been a number of similar posts with almost identical questions. I am not trying to be rude or mean to the OP, but how many of these surveys have we had in the past 6 months? Five? Seven?
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    There has got to be a manual or syllabus which European teachers are using to give class assignments on analogue photography. While I support education (especially higher arts education), there has been a number of similar posts with almost identical questions. I am not trying to be rude or mean to the OP, but how many of these surveys have we had in the past 6 months? Five? Seven?
    Hi Kevin. I'm doing my examination paper to get my bachelor's degree in graphic design on my university, and we were allowed to choose a subject within graphic design or photography. In other words I chose this subject myself, because I think there's a lack of research on this matter and also because people in general (including my teachers) seem to have the idea that people don't shoot analogically anymore. I'm actually surprised that there has been five–seven surveys like this in the past six months, since it's been super tricky to find similar research reports to refer to. Most are about digital photography.

If the moderators finds this thread repetitive it's fine for me if it's deleted. I don't want to irritate anyone.

And thanks a lot for your answers "mr rusty"!
    Last edited by HeliLehtonen; 05-14-2013 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1. 45 M
    2. No. Natural world.
    3. 1985
    4. Pentax 645, Mamiya RB67 Nikon Dslr
    5. Standard systems and chemistry
    - have always enjoyed it
    - enjoy hands on work
    - sit at computer too much during the day
    - VERY SATISIFING to create one's own prints in a darkroom; slow, methodical and creative approach
    - digital work is so often done on a trial and error basis - shoot, delete, shoot again etc. Analogue promotes more thought throughout the process. It slows everything down. If you've got only 10 frames on a film, you've got to make them count.

7. No. For me it's not about the subject so much, as about the interpretation or creation of the artwork. This can of course be done in either medium, I just happen to like film.

8. Yes

9. Very hard to say, since the processes are so different, and I use digital for very different subjects
    10. Digital has it's place - very quick and simple.
    11. I could use more hours in a day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1. Age and gender: > Male 51
    2. Do you shoot professionally (digital and/or analog)? What subjects do you shoot in that case? > No
    3. When did you start shooting analogically, and when did you start photographing (if you started out with digital photography)? > 1974
    4. What equipment (camera) do you use? If you use multiple cameras, you can write down all of them and which one you use the most. > Oh, too many. Mostly Pentax and Minolta 35mm SLRs. Also, various rangefinders, a Mamiya 645m, and Yashicamat 124. Digital I have a Pentax K200D.
    5. Do you develop your film yourself, and what technique do you use in that case? > Yes. Both B/W and C-41
    6. Why do you shoot analogically and what benefits do you think there is with analogue photography? Feel free to respond as fully as possible on this matter. For example, if you shoot analogically because of the appearance of the photos, please describe specifically what it is in the look that you like, etc. If there are many different reasons, please write down all. (This is the most important question) > I like my film cameras better than my digital camera as my film cameras are MUCH easier to use and not all plastic stuff. Also, I find myself annoyed at cameras having become computer peripherals. Have to work at computers all day and would rather not do it for hobby projects as well. That being said, I have no fundamental problem with digital photography, just like analog better. A good photograph can be produced either way.
    7. Are there any particular subjects that you think that analogue photography is particularly suitable for, respectively not suitable for? Personally, landscapes. But that's also what I often photograph.
    8. Will you continue to shoot analogically in the future? Yes, as long as possible to do so.

9. Approximately how much of your photography do you estimate that you shoot analogically? 98% or greater.
    10. What is it that makes you not photograph only analogically? Sports, specifically soccer. Digital shines here. Obviously no need to change film, although you might have to change batteries, and digital positives ready to go. Again, though, I often have a film SLR in the bag and use that as well for a roll or two.
    11. Is there anything that could make you photograph analogically even more? Probably not, other than having more time available.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    59 years old male. I don't shoot professional but have have sold a picture or two over the years. I shoot landscapes. I been shooting film since the middle 1970's. I have Canon FD system along with Mamyia RB67 and a Rolliflex TLR 2.8. I'm a analog guy in a digital world. I will always shoot film in the future.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. 55, male
    2. No
    3. 1967-1968 (long break) then starting again in 1986.
    4. Primarily 35mm gear (Canon FD, Canon EOS, Contax, Minolta MD, Nikon), plus Mamiya 645 Pro and Yashica Mat 124G
    5. Yes, I use a daylight Paterson tank for B&W film. I do not process my own color.
    6. I prefer the simplicity of film and film cameras (even the latest most advanced ones) over the bewildering array of decisions and menu options I face when I pick up a digital camera. I keep thinking that shooting large format cameras must be so restful.
    7. Put another way, I think the instantaneous nature of digital gives it a huge advantage over film with regards to news and event photography, and sports. Everything else, if you're only shooting for yourself, is really just about personal choice. Either works just fine.
    8. Yes
    9. ~97% analog
    10. I am not at all adept at flash photography, and the instant feedback is very useful.
    11. My DSLR could go for a swim...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. You will find earlier polls for all your questions with a search.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin