Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,132   Online: 883

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A gathering to share prints: how do you do it?

A number of local groups exist or have come and gone through apug over the last 10 years, that consisted of local photographers meeting together for various purposes. Much of the time it is just camaraderie, but often it is to go out and take photographs, or to get together and share work. I am interested in the latter.

A few days ago, I was having lunch with a handful of local photographers who form a loosely organized group – one that is based on their common interest in using large format cameras. I do not use sheet film, but am allowed to tag along. (Apparently, my “mini cameras” provide comic relief.) They get together mostly to go out and shoot, but occasionally meet to go see an exhibit (as was the case this time).

I proposed the idea of having a periodic meeting to share and view prints, and it seemed to be met with interest. The logistics are to be worked out, as the devil is always in the details.

To this end, I would be interested in others’ experience with such get-togethers: when and where you meet (type of venue, not necessarily the specific place), how many do you usually have, what is the format of the meeting, how do you communicate and advertise the meeting, etc.

Thanks for all input!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've organized a few gatherings around the Traveling Portfolio (which seems to have gotten stuck in the doldrums, since I haven't had time to manage it, and no one else has stepped forward to take it over), and usually what I'd do was suggest a few possible dates for a get together with the local portfolio participants and any other interested members within easy traveling distance, and we've met up at my place or the home of another participant, maybe with wine, cheese and appetizers. People have often come with portfolios of their own in addition to viewing the APUG Traveling Portfolio. I usually put out several pairs of cotton gloves, so we can pass prints around.

One time there was a free B&W workshop at a nearby National Wildlife Reserve, so we decided to attend as a group and look at the portfolio afterward.

I've been to a few LF outings in the NYC area as well. For gatherings in easily accessible locations like Central Park, we've just started a discussion and come to a concensus on a time and meeting spot (maybe adding an additional meeting spot and time with shared cellphone numbers for latecomers), and met there. For places that require driving, part of the organization is figuring out who can drive and who needs a ride (since many New Yorkers don't own a car, even if they know how to drive and have a license).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting that you bring this up. I'm newly resident in Jacksonville, Florida. There are a couple of puggers here who shoot lf, and get together with a small group of photographers when the weather becomes bearable for print sharing and perhaps a group destination with cameras. The first meeting for me will be this coming Sunday for coffee and print sharing. I'll let you know how it goes!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's maybe 20 of us who meet at least 2–3 times a year in Dublin, Ireland. These meetings have been helping me develop my skills over the past 5 years that that I've attended, and it has always been very enjoyable. Recommended!

We use the local camera club in a central location. We aim for a spring and an autumn print showing, all arranged via APUG Ireland forum (check it out). It takes about a month to agree a date.

Usually 10–14 meet. It is not competitive and criticism is friendly yet helpful. Mixed level, each one brings 4–10 prints. Takes 2 hours, then we lunch somewhere in Dublin. Usually there's an in-between photo trip to take pictures somewhere, bit spontaneous.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We have a monthly pub meeting in Adelaide. There are about 8 of us in total, with there typically being about 3 to 5 in a typical meeting. Pub food beforehand, move to a quiet room after dinner to share prints and talk shit about film and stuff. It's all organised on email (google groups) and very informal. I think we've had two photo-outings as a group, both quite poorly attended.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A gathering to share prints: how do you do it?

We live near Vancouver BC, Canada. We started the Darkroom Group in December 2009 when my husband and I were fairly new to darkroom - beginners really. We invited four more experienced people to join us. Currently we have 15 members and 12 - 14 meet in our home twice a month -- one meeting is on a Friday, the other a Saturday. We start at 10am and end between 2 and 3 pm. We stop for lunch, premade by me or another member. We have beginners to most experienced in our group. To belong to the group one must have a keen interest in film and darkroom printing. All of our members either have access to a darkroom or have darkrooms of their own.
    Meeting dates are set months in advance, never on a long weekend.

A typical agenda (created through consultation with two other members) is distributed by email.
    1) Show & Tell - everybody brings old items or new photography related items( books, cameras, magazines etc).
    2) Questions and Answers - about anything photography or darkroom.
    3) Image critique -- prints (film or digital), negs, slides. Everyone is welcome to comment. We have a selection process (everyone participates in the selection process) for submission to four regional and national print competitions per year.
    4) Photo Shoot organized by a club member. This Saturday we'll be photographing models in a wild west setting at a farm. We've had 2 shooting events this year.
    5) Sharing Creative Projects - we all take turns making presentations to the group. We have a list of suggested topics gleaned from group discussions. We've just finishing our second project of developing film in pyro/PMK. In the future will also be trying different film developers like Diafine, HC110 and Xtol. In early November we'll be exposing a neg and using 3 different paper developers (BW-65, Dektol and PF 130) just for experimentation and evaluation.

We also have a "free" table where members place photography-related items they no longer use.

This is a lively group, much laughter and lots of fun and joking.
    We have two darkrooms now, with 6 enlargers and a sink - often used for demonstrations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was really glad when bluejeh and bluejeh2 found me (with the help of Steelbar) and asked me to join the group .

We have a lot of fun!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    VCP hosts a monthly get-together at the gallery, where people show stuff they are working on, or looking for feedback on.
    Average attendance is 10-15 people + or -.
    It's a very informal gathering, there are no rules about print sizes, media, mounted or not etc, it's all about the images and it is open to anyone who wants to show up. It's promoted in our newsletter, and on the website.

Some amazing work is shown, and it's a great source for ideas and interaction around photography.

(VCP stands for Vermont Center for Photography, which is a non-profit photographic gallery in SE Vermont).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin