Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,069   Online: 755

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

APUG Photo Challenge - Mar 2005 Suggestions and Discussion Thread

The APUG Photo Challenge is a monthly bash where members go and make a photograph fitting a given theme and upload the result to the APUG Challenge Gallery. The original idea came from APUG member (and B&WP UK editor) Ailsa who said (in part):

"I was pondering the other day that I often produce my best work when given a brief or a project, whereas when an idea is self-imposed, I tend to just float around it and not really knuckle down. So I got to thinking, how about setting up an APUG photographic challenge thread?"

"The themes can be as open or as specific as you like, within reason - obviously there wouldn't be much point in telling me to photograph a tree in Yosemite, unless the person setting the challenge was willing to pay my air fare and accommodation..."

"...it could be a great opportunity to break out of our usual styles and try something completely different."

The Challenge is currently running.

January Challenge -
    Theme: A self-portrait which says something about where you live
    Closing Date: Feb 10

February Challenge -
    Theme: Light can be Dark
    Closing Date: Mar 10

This thread is for the March Challenge (suggestions for the theme and general discussion). In a week or so I'll set up another thread (unless the majority oppose this) to poll the themes that have been suggested. Once the poll closes I'll ask Sean to lock that thread in an attempt to avoid confusion.

What we need now are some good, imaginative suggestions for March's challenge (closing date 31 March 2005 (in an attempt to make things a little more straightforward!)).

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to put forward the suggestion of "Everyday Things"
    Something common that you would use everyday- keys, cell phone, car, milk jug, hair brush, that Elvis bust on the mantle...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We could even go more specific and do kitsch. The elvis on the mantle made me think of it. It could be anything from toys to people to the stuff on your front lawns (you kow who you are).

Images
    I would like to suggest geometry. The subject of the picture should should be geometrically shapped and only one shape dominates the photograph.

or line
    Choose a line and photograph it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kitsch would be fun, I haven't bought anything really tacky in a long time and I just need an excuse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "The winter's past...."
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Close"?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    to get the synapses jumping, why don't we just alter some old stand-bys and see if this gets anyone thinking:

ex:

Life Still (still life)
    Photograph Street (street photography)
    Photography People (people photography)

and just for Ralph:
    Photograph Nude (from nude photography)

Some other suggestions from signs around the computer lab at school:

Security
    Finished
    Guaranteed
    Free
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any of those first three work for me. I can even incorporate my itch for kitsch into any of them. I just need a direction.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    "The winter's past...."
    Wouldn't work for me. I live in Hawaii!!! Winter, summer, spring, fall, it is all the same to me; temperatures only vary by about 10F year round - a bit more rain in the winter, however.

I like the geometry idea though. Since, I primarily shoot landscapes, it would give me the opportunity to try something different.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin