Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,454   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Very Small Texas Outing..

Jeremy Moore and I met up on Friday at one of the State Parks, Ft. Richardson, for a very small LF outing.

Sorry, it was a last minute sort of thing, but we had a great time. At least I did, it was fun seeing how someone else 'sees' things. Now, it was just a tad cool, and a lot windy..did I mention we had some wind. It was a good test for the new BlackJacket Jeremy has, and you can bet that after getting beat up by my darkcolth, will be looking at replacing it with a BlackJacket soon.

So there we were, a couple of novice LF guys with our Burke and James 5x7's, must have been a site for the other visitors.

You should have seen Jeremy's camera, I think he used every movement the old B&J had..and then some. Think he may have made some snaps of it, so maybe we can get him to post them later. It was my first outing with my B&J. Of course if there is anything worth posting will post some of the images. But it was still fun just getting together and talking about photography.
    Last edited by photomc; 03-26-2005 at 07:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add a little extra information...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I got some action shots of Mike doing the LF thing (you know, taking pictures). It was really funny to go out and take pictures when we both have the exact same camera--I didn't think of it then, but I should have shot a photo of the cameras side-by-side (Mike, we'll have to do this next time).

I had never shot LF with another photog before (the only other time I had shot with another photog was with Kevin Mullet and little Kodak Hawkeye Brownies--had a blast then, too!) and it was really helpful to see how someone else sees with LF. In addition, I also pestered Mike with some questions about a couple of shots and he reminded me to shift so as to remove my reflection from the window.

Never before had I ever used so much movement and it was a blast. Yesterday was the first day I saw the looming edge of the image circle come into view on the ground glass in the actual couse of taking a photo.

There was even one shot I took where Ole would have been proud: I had to shoot through a window and very low to the groune, but becauase of deep sill I couldn't use the tripod to get the lens close enough to the glass to dispell reflections--so I hand-held the sucker up there Really curious to see how this came out!

Ditto on hoping Mike and I both got some good stuff (from what he was shooting I don't see how he couldn't have) and I will develop the film ASAP.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Now, it was just a tad cool, and a lot windy..did I mention we had some wind. It was a good test for the new BlackJacket Jeremy has, and you can bet that after getting beat up by my darkcolth, will be looking at replacing it with a BlackJacket soon.

Unsolicited BIG suggestion that if you shoot LF to get a BlackJacket--after shooting with it I would never want to shoot without it.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    ... But it was still fun just getting together and talking about photography.
    I've been thinking about posting this for a while, and now you two have inspired me. (And sorry if I seem to be hijacking your thread.)

There are a number of us in the north Texas "metroplex". Any interest in a get together, even if just socially? It would be fun to put faces to names. Is there a good coffee shop/diner in the middle of the metroplex that we could all meet up for lunch some Saturday? Any other ideas?

FWIW, I am going to the workshop at Lee's in May. (I believe we have people from all over at that.)

Cheers, y'all.

David

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    David,

great idea. count me in just name the place and time and if not booked I will attend happily.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I've been thinking about posting this for a while, and now you two have inspired me. (And sorry if I seem to be hijacking your thread.)

There are a number of us in the north Texas "metroplex". Any interest in a get together, even if just socially? It would be fun to put faces to names. Is there a good coffee shop/diner in the middle of the metroplex that we could all meet up for lunch some Saturday? Any other ideas?

FWIW, I am going to the workshop at Lee's in May. (I believe we have people from all over at that.)

Cheers, y'all.

David

Great idea David, shooting wold be fun, but names with faces would be as well. Let me know, and like Lee will be there (of course work schedules, etc will have to be checked) BTW, will be a the workshop in May, so will see you there.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey -- count me in as an interested party too! I'm in Denton, and last I tried to count, there were maybe 10 or so North Texas APUGers. Numerous activites come to mind.

Coffee & social would be cool.

Also, I'll bet with the local dot-edu connections, maybe someone could wrangle us a classroom or public meeting place somewhere and a few of us could each do a presentation or talk on some aspect of analog photography and invite the general public

A "North Texas Shoot-out"? We could find a likely spot like an auto salvage yard or abandoned train depot and spend a half day shooting there, then meet up in a week or two to discuss our prints.

thoughts?

As with the others above, I'd love to attend such things as schedule permits. I just got accepted to re-enter college, and also just got a new part-time job to help fund the schoolin' and the photography, so I'll be trying to learn the fine art of schedule shoehorning for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Couple of Work Prints From the Outing

Here are a couple of work prints from the outing..

These were some of the first shots done with the B&J 5x7, they were done with the Caltar 150. The 2nd one tells me I need to really watch the movements, did not notice the convergence in the post.

Also both were a bit contrasty so metering was done with the shadow and highlights in mind...they are bit underexposed in my mind..the negatives are really dense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR5X7_1.jpg   FR5X7_2.JPG  
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are too quick for me, Mike. I had a wonderful dinner with Lee and his wife last night and when I came home I had to get to some homework so as to free up time on Sunday. Hopefully I will have all of the homework done so I can develop tonight.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    You are too quick for me, Mike. I had a wonderful dinner with Lee and his wife last night and when I came home I had to get to some homework so as to free up time on Sunday. Hopefully I will have all of the homework done so I can develop tonight.
    Not really Jeremy..only had 3 holders (six films) to develop. Unfortunately these 2 are the only ones that came out. It appears that the holders have light leaks in them...had not checked them prior to this..most have been loaded for a couple of weeks. But not a complete loss, after seeing how you had labeled your holders, will do something like that and use some 5x7 paper to check for leaks and go from there. Looking forward to seeing what you have..
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin