Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,415   Online: 1162

View Poll Results: The APUG Photo Challenge - Where do we go from here?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're flogging a dead horse, Frank. Give it up.

4 8.00%
  • Continue as we are now.

2 4.00%
  • Continue as we are now, but add a web page with a summary of the Challenge idea, theme and closing date and a history of previous Challenge themes. (This could be hosted off APUG and therefore need not give Sean yet another task)

26 52.00%
  • Once a month is too often. Drop to once a quarter. (Could be combined with another option from this selection)

29 58.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a few themes and start a poll thread to choose one of that selection for the month's Challenge.

5 10.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a theme. (This one makes the whole thing a bit too unilateral for my tastes)

4 8.00%
  • Something else (suggestions below)

3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FrankB thanks for doing the challenge, but I have to agree, it appears to be dying a slow death. There are a grand total of two submissions for April, one of which is mine. I like the idea a lot, it pushes me to try something different or new. I like seeing how many different the interpretations there are for the same theme.

My vote is for a separate page, maybe this will drum up some interest.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never taken part due in fact to the original thread that promoted it and the confusion. Personally a bi-monthly contest of theme's picked by the person who started the thread would be preferable to asking about what everyone wants; Then you just get a bunch of different opinions. Also remember that those who are not subscribers will not be able to see any results if pictures are posted, outside thumbnails which are too small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the concept. I participated last month. However, there might be more incentive or motivation to participate if there is some conclusion for each month, or quarter, or whatever. Perhaps a closing poll voting for the photo that most closely captures the theme (not necessarily a vote based on quality of the photo, so that those of us who are not experts yet can get a vote or two! ). Or a discussion of each of the photos, or whatever.

Regarding Andy K's comment, it wasn't my assumption that this was limited to B&W. If so, I'd argue against such a restriction. I think restricting it to general APUG principles is sufficient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dschneller
    FrankB thanks for doing the challenge, but I have to agree, it appears to be dying a slow death. There are a grand total of two submissions for April, one of which is mine.
    But, it is still rather early--it seems as though the schedule has been mid-month to mid month?

However, something to put some more life into it would be good. Also, making it easier on whoever is managing it would be good. It seems like geting responses for the monthly poll is not easy.

Matt

Images
    One problem as I see it is that every month there is a few weeks of nominations followed by a voting process. There are generally lots of excellent suggestions every month which makes it difficult to choose and unless you really follow it, it is often unclear what the topic is for which moth.

I was thinking, What if once a year, a couple of weeks was put into picking the 12 topics for the next year. Maybe just ask for nominations and then pull twelve out of a hat to avoid a long, difficult voting process. After all, the idea is to challenge ourselves with random projects within a specific time frame. Then at the beginning of each month, simply announce the challenge topic du month and let it go. This would reduce the amount of time and effort needed oversee the challenge and make it more clear and understandable to members that might want to participate without following the whole process.

The other thing is that when I visit the challenge area in the gallery, I often can not tell where one month ends and the next begins and I don't know what topics the photos are illustrating. How about definitively ending each month and starting the next with a placeholder announcement in the gallery that states the month and topic for the submissions following it? For instance, on the last day of the month, post a "new challenge" graphic with the new topic and what it is about in the subject and description areas.

I have no idea whether this would increase participation but it would simplify the managment of of the challenge and make it easier to sustain.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frank, now I have my brain back in gear I'm happy to come and play again.

I agree having the deadlines at the end of the actual month would make remembering them would make things much easier.

Also may I suggest that just for this one (if Sean has no objections), that the results are posted to the thread. That would allow members who are not subscribers to take part. Sorry if I've openned a bag of nails here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I contributed once but the hassle of deciding what the theme was kind of turned me off. Similar to what others have suggested, I think you should just make a list of what each month's theme will be. That way we know in advance. Maybe you can ask for suggestions and make the list from the ones that seem the most fun or challenging.

Bottom line: I love the concept but the execution is a little weak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good idea that of voting only once a year, maybe in wintertime.
    And then you dra randomly one challenge per month

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I was thinking, What if once a year, a couple of weeks was put into picking the 12 topics for the next year. Maybe just ask for nominations and then pull twelve out of a hat to avoid a long, difficult voting process. After all, the idea is to challenge ourselves with random projects within a specific time frame. Then at the beginning of each month, simply announce the challenge topic du month and let it go. This would reduce the amount of time and effort needed oversee the challenge and make it more clear and understandable to members that might want to participate without following the whole process.

The other thing is that when I visit the challenge area in the gallery, I often can not tell where one month ends and the next begins and I don't know what topics the photos are illustrating. How about definitively ending each month and starting the next with a placeholder announcement in the gallery that states the month and topic for the submissions following it? For instance, on the last day of the month, post a "new challenge" graphic with the new topic and what it is about in the subject and description areas.

I have no idea whether this would increase participation but it would simplify the managment of of the challenge and make it easier to sustain.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    I think you should just make a list of what each month's theme will be. That way we know in advance.
    I don't favor the idea of announcing the whole list in advance. The specific and limited time frame is part of the challenge. I would like to see an announcement post at the beginning of each month, "The APUG Challenge for May Is : [Whatever]" With a further explanation if required.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Neal's post does a good job of explaining why it's so confusing to participate in the Challenge, if you're not following the discussion from day to day.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin