Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 818

View Poll Results: The APUG Photo Challenge - Where do we go from here?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're flogging a dead horse, Frank. Give it up.

4 8.00%
  • Continue as we are now.

2 4.00%
  • Continue as we are now, but add a web page with a summary of the Challenge idea, theme and closing date and a history of previous Challenge themes. (This could be hosted off APUG and therefore need not give Sean yet another task)

26 52.00%
  • Once a month is too often. Drop to once a quarter. (Could be combined with another option from this selection)

29 58.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a few themes and start a poll thread to choose one of that selection for the month's Challenge.

5 10.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a theme. (This one makes the whole thing a bit too unilateral for my tastes)

4 8.00%
  • Something else (suggestions below)

3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Neal. I also think that the current monthly format gets a little too tight for some of us who otherwise like the concept and would love to participate.

Personally speaking, I haven't been able to go out and shoot much because of various reasons. So, although I like this month's subject, I haven't been able to shoot anything worth putting up, and there's not much time left. A quarterly, or even bimonthly, format would be nice.

Just my $0.02

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I just couldn’t figure out how to do it or what it was so I just said forget about it.

Just need a better way to define what the current project is and I would be interested but have to make it easy.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too think that once a month is too short. Of course my opinion is loaded by my own situation where I can get a picture of a drilling rig any month, but sometimes nothing else. So unless the theme is "oil drilling", I need two months at least.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I too think that once a month is too short. Of course my opinion is loaded by my own situation where I can get a picture of a drilling rig any month, but sometimes nothing else. So unless the theme is "oil drilling", I need two months at least.
    Ole post away I'd love to see some "oil drilling" and related stuff. The only oil we get in Devon is in cans or spillages in the bay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not going to respond to all the comments and views (although the sheer amount of them does show that at least the concept is worth pursuing, just the method needs tuning).

Please keep them coming, though. I'd love to get this right!

I'll take a stab at a few of them:

Andy K - Like APUG itself, anything non-digital goes in the Challenge. Feel free to blast in with some colour, and thanks for pointing out this misapprehension; I'm sure you weren't alone in that belief.

Neal - I like your ideas, especially the placeholder graphic in the gallery; I should be able to come up with something for that. I agree that the current polling system seems to be a lot of palaver. However, if we go for the yearly selection, what happens if someone comes up with a cracking theme halfway through the year? Or a new member joins with a radically new way of thinking that really appeals to everyone? A quarterly polling system might give us more flexibility and a summary webpage (as per David's original suggestion) would certainly help with the clarity...

waynecrider - Thanks for your confidence but I'd rather not get into a situation where I'm picking the themes unilaterally. That way, you just get what flicks my switch and Cheryl might never get her Fairytale theme (where the hell am I going to find two kids called Jack and Jill and a bucket?! ) I'd do it this way on condition that all practical suggestions go into the hat and I pick them out completely at random.

chuck94022 - I hear you, but I'd rather not turn this into a competition (we're having enough trouble with polls as it is!). I really like Ailsa's original concept, and that's what I'd like to stick to. Comment and discussion is very welcome, either on the month's Suggestions / Discussion thread or in the Challenge Gallery comments

MattCarey - Thanks for the thought (and I mean that!), but I can cope with this level of workload, no worries. I'm also happy to host and maintain a webpage summarising the Challenge and the current theme (provided people are prepared to put up with my crappy HTML! Sean I ain't!)

Tony - Nice to have you back on the roster! Erm, I'm going to duck the nails! There's already a looooonnnng thread running on a very similar subject, and I'd rather not mix this one in with it!

Ole / Sensanjay - Yup, I'm having trouble with the monthly timetable too!

Thanks for all the responses, suggestions and ideas. Please keep them coming.

All the best,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the idea of keeping the photo challenge, but I have been "scannerless" for a while now - mine died of overuse and old age.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGangi
    I like the idea of keeping the photo challenge, but I have been "scannerless" for a while now - mine died of overuse and old age.
    Your scanner wore out, but I bet that 8x10" camera that you used to have in your avatar is still doing fine...
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...and with the polls closed the returning officer steps to the podium and announces...!

(Sorry, that was one for the UK contingent! )

Okay, here's what (in line with the votes cast above) I intend to do:

The winner of the theme poll for May is "Macro". This will run for May and June (in order to get us lined up on the quarters) and close on June 30th.

During May I'll talk to Sean and work out the best and easiest way of creating / maintaining / linking / hosting an APUG Challenge page which will (hopefully) hold basic summary information of the nature of the Challenge, a description of the current theme and the closing date, history information of past Challenges and anything else that seems like a good idea at the time.

Each quarter, about a month before the start of the new Challenge, I'll start a thread to suggest themes and a week later start a poll to select a theme. Hopefully with the frequency reduced to four times a year, people will find this easier to cope with. (If it doesn't work out in a couple of quarters then I'll try the Neal's suggestion of a once a year voting session.)

I'm going to hold off on the "placeholder" graphic idea for a bit, as in the past some people have posted really excellent submissions either early or late and I think it would be a shame to discourage them. The whole point of the Challenge is to get us out and shooting and trying new things. Being too rigid with the rules probably isn't in our best interests. (However, I haven't forgotten it and it may very well get resurrected at a later date.)

Very many thanks for all the input!

All the best,

Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin