Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,965   Online: 1029

View Poll Results: The APUG Photo Challenge - Where do we go from here?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're flogging a dead horse, Frank. Give it up.

4 8.00%
  • Continue as we are now.

2 4.00%
  • Continue as we are now, but add a web page with a summary of the Challenge idea, theme and closing date and a history of previous Challenge themes. (This could be hosted off APUG and therefore need not give Sean yet another task)

26 52.00%
  • Once a month is too often. Drop to once a quarter. (Could be combined with another option from this selection)

29 58.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a few themes and start a poll thread to choose one of that selection for the month's Challenge.

5 10.00%
  • Have one thread for themes suggestions which can be contributed to by anyone at any time. Each month I pick a theme. (This one makes the whole thing a bit too unilateral for my tastes)

4 8.00%
  • Something else (suggestions below)

3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Death of the APUG Photo Challenge

The Photo Challenge seems to be dying a slow and painful death. The level of suggestions for themes is steadily dropping and in this month's poll so far a grand total of 1 vote has been cast. This poll is to decide where (if anywhere) we go from here. Multiple choices are allowed.

I'll leave this poll running for seven days and (hopefully) we'll see what people want to do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I voted twice--once for having a separate summary page with the assignment, date, and link to the relevant gallery, and once for cutting back to once a quarter.

As I've written before, I think the challenge is a great idea, because one can learn a lot from doing an assignment that is outside of one's usual activity. This was Al Shaik's original idea behind usefilm.com, which began as a Yahoo!Group and a web site called "Photo Projects."

I just think it's too hard to figure out what the current project is, when it starts, and when it ends. Personally, I don't want to participate in the discussion about what the next project will be. I'm happy to leave that task to those who are interested. I just want to get the assignment and go, and then discuss the submissions afterward.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't participated but enjoy seeing some of the pics posted. I did participate in Al's 1st Projects pre Usefilm and think the concept is worth continuing.

Can't find my pics to Al's Project 1, but here's my Project 2 efforts from way back in 2000! topic must have been "Industrial"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NS-Industrial-CoalMine.jpg   NS-Industrial-PowerStation.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I haven't participated because of my darkroom being dismantled at the moment, I think the basic concept is good. The summary page, wherever hosted, would make it easier to determine what is currently going on. And, while monthly may be too frequent for some, quarterly seems too infrequent to me.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Frank, I've never been involved, but now have a scanner, and so could be. As a latecomer to the process, it's not clear to me how you pick a topic. Does the majority win in the poll? or is there some other way to communicate the winning topic? Is there a deadline per topic, such as last day of the month?

I have a big backlog to post. For example I have a shot for the first annual APUG aniversay back in 2003 that I've not had the means to get online, untill now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom - Yes, the theme winning the APUG Photo Challenge poll each month is deemed the winner. I sometimes post a message to the month's poll and the month's suggestion thread, but may miss this if I'm busy.

There is a deadline (the end of that month or a week or so after) but having said that we've never turned our nose up at a decent submission! Feel free to contribute your backlog. I for one would love to see them!

All - Thank you very much for your comments and votes. Please keep them coming!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    David has summarized my views exactly.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb

I just think it's too hard to figure out what the current project is, when it starts, and when it ends. Personally, I don't want to participate in the discussion about what the next project will be. I'm happy to leave that task to those who are interested. I just want to get the assignment and go, and then discuss the submissions afterward.
    Ditto.

I find the photo challenge interesting, but I do not take part because I do not yet have a functioning DR. I could contribute colour photographs, but I thought the Challenge was a bw thing.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the photo challenge. I like the idea of being pushed outside my comfortable bounds. I also work well with deadlines (as my management will agree).

I think the interest in things like the camera-around-the-world and the loaner medium format threads show that this sort of thing can work well.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked the idea, not much time lately
    I vote for the quarterly or bi-monthly challenge and having a website for it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin