Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,457   Online: 1134

View Poll Results: In the print exchanges do we exchange mounted or unmounted prints as a rule?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mounted

14 31.82%
  • Unmounted

15 34.09%
  • Don't care either way

15 34.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

To mount or not to mount...?

In these print exchanges, do you guys mount or unmount the prints?

I ask because just before I was going send out my prints, I recieved a beautiful - nay, amazing - print from PATS that was mounted. So I turned around, bought mounting supplies and just finished mounting my prints. I didn't want to contravene ettiquette.

So, back to the question, do we mount or un-mount? Really curious.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unmounted.

Just about every print I get or send goes by intercontinental mail, and I have found that unmounted prints stand up to that treatment far better.

I attach my prints to cardboard with photo corners, cover with (archival) paper, another cardboard, and into the envelope. So far I haven't heard that any have been damaged, which is better than the mounted prints I've received.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the previous exchange all three prints I recieved were unmounted and none were damaged. This exchange, my first print I have received is mounted and it also was not damaged. I send out my prints unmounted because I usually mat to 16x20, and that's pretty big and seems almost prone to damage unless I did some really heavy-duty packaging. And I've heard that some prefer unmounted because they take up less room- therefore easy to store. I personally don't mind what I receive, but I prefer to send unmounted.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Art.

Being in your group, also recieved Pats print, mounted. I therefore mounted mine as well...I didn't go as far as creating a window mat, but I did feel like it might take the shipping a little better if I did mount it. I also did it for asthetic reasons, since most of the prints were rather wrinkled. If you want to send them unmounted that's cool with me, I know how much of a hassle it can be to measure and cut everything, I always get a nice headache after trying to focus on stuff like that.

-The E

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the wonderful comment on my photo. I sent my out matted as to me it looks more professional ( personal opinion only ) and more complete. I sell alot of my photos at outdoor art shows and I find the public perfers them to be semi finished or comlpetely finished. Very rarely do I get requestes for the picture only. I figure I spent so much time making sure the pictures are archival that by mounting and matting them myself I know for sure the are done with archival mats etc. I am sorry that yours got dinged on one corner . I have not had any problem before and I have sent my pictures around the world to varoius customers. My policy is if there is damage that I will replace it and will do the same for you if you like . I look forward to receiving the last two prints form group 10 . I also look forward to participating in the next round .
    Cheers Pats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like unmounted gets the edge here, but there are fewer voters.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The prints I mailed yesterday (group exchange) are 8X10's in 11X14 mounts. I took a tip from the print Bob Carnie sent me in the last blind exchange and sandwiched the mount between 2 pieces of slightly oversize foam core, then slid that (with a short letter about the picture) into a large bubble wrap lined mailer.

Postage wasn't as bad as you might think - the 2 prints that went to APUGers here in the States were only $3.85 each for USPS Priority Mail, and the one to Canada was $3.75 for USPS Airmail.

My print for the blind exchange will be sent the same way - as soon as it's made!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I received several mounted prints in the last exchange. I didn't send mine out matted last time as I haven't really had much practice with the mount cutter yet (I know, now is a good time). Don't know if it will be done that way this time either. Things are kind of hectic at the moment.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does not seem to take much of a bend to damage a dry-mounted print. A slight bend during the postal experience that does not come anywhere near to damaging the mount can cause a crease in the print that seems to be just in the top few fibres of the paper and the emulsion layer, destroying the print. I'd be interested in the opinions of anyone who ships a lot of prints dry mounted as my experience, though limited, seems to be echoed by what I have read elsewhere. Corner mounts seem immune from this problem as the paper can flex separately from the mount.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally, a print never leaves my house unless it's first been mounted. Matting, however, is only done if a print is to be framed. However, the added cost and time to mount prints was one of the reasons why I dropped out of the print exchange.

Out of the 20-odd prints I received as part of the print exchange, maybe 2-3 were mounted.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin