Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,113   Online: 762

View Poll Results: Do we disallow exchange deadbeats? And make a blacklist?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and a public blacklist

2 5.88%
  • Yes, but private blacklist available only to coordinators

6 17.65%
  • No, but a public list as a reminder not as a punitive measure

4 11.76%
  • No, but private list - for subtle urges via PM

13 38.24%
  • No and no blacklist - this is just too draconian!

9 26.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I have been left high and dry in ALL (two, fair enough) exchanges I've done. Granted, none of them were here, and I haven't participated in any here either... but spending the time (of which I have little in the vicinity of my darkroom) and effort to print, tone, matte, package and ship to some jerk who actually started the exchange in the first place really ticked me off.

Public flogging I say.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was on the short end of an exchange. Later, I found out that the person was unable to make the effort due to personal circumstances for which I can understand an appreciate. I would not want this person blacklisted from future exchanges.

I think some acceptable explaination as to why the person was unable to fullfil their exchange obligation would be in order.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    I've sent and recieve all my Print exchanges but my Postcard count isn't so rosy... 171 sent, 121 received. Some must go missing in transit, but not that many otherwise the postal services of the world would be the brunt of much more abuse than they currently are.
    No vote here as I have not participated in any formal exchange groups. However Nige may have a valid point: I have sent photos oversea which apparently never arrived and I was sent a photograph from a very respectable west coast subscriber which has not reached me. Does our Postal Service have a special shredder for us APUGers?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do a fair number of exchanges. I had to back out of one once because of work obligations, but it was the sort of exchange where all the prints were gathered centrally and redistributed, so I didn't receive any prints either. I was way late with the group exchange #3, but those did go out.

I don't worry too much about not receiving a print. I don't keep track of the postcards or prints I get and from which exchange the prints are. At the beginning of the postcard exchange, we didn't have "rounds," so I just sent one out to the whole list whenever the inspiration struck and the time was there to do it. The main reason I participate in the exchanges is to challenge myself to print for an audience of other photographers, and if I get some nice prints back, that's a bonus.

I do think, though, that if there are people who always sign up for exchanges (say three or more) and never send a print, then they ought to be excluded from future exchanges. The exchanges should not become a means for people who may not even be photographers to build their print collections without doing any work.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (Not a computer programmer, so, I always think things are easier than they are)
    What about a scoring system, like eBay. Exchange participants have an extra line in their profile - for each round they are signed-up for they can check a box "shipped" and recipient can check a box "recieved" (keep it simple, or, make it more informative... "I'll be late but am working on it, shipped, still waiting after deadline, recieved") To see how someone is doing all you have to do is look at this box and see how many rounds they've done and whether they are up-to-date in them; let the organizer decide whether to include/exclude based on current status.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I voted for the subtle pm route - thankfully, I have only had positive, if sometimes late from me or coming to me, experiences of print exchanges. Guess I've just been lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is always a risk with print exchanges. I've participated in two group exchanges, one with three other people, and one with four other folks, two blind exchanges, and a couple of private exchanges... for, I think, a total of twelve exchanges. Out of that twelve, I've been 'stiffed' once. I figure, that's not bad. Is this really THAT big a problem? Well, I'll grant you, it may be for the coordinator... and a BIG thank you to those who have coordinated the exchanges.

I find the benefit of seeing others' prints far outweighs the risk of getting stiffed, and unless it becomes a rampant problem, APUGGERs should 'police' themselves. All that said, I will probably be a little late with the next group exchange myself (summer schedules being what they are!) DOH!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    actually I did get 'stiffed' once... which I'd forgotten about. One of my 1st every exchanges (pre APUG) was going swimmingly, good correspondence, etc. I sent my print off and waited... and waited... emailed, no reply. Checked the guys website to see if there had been any activity only to see the family had updated the site with a notice to say that the guy had died!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    No vote here as I have not participated in any formal exchange groups. However Nige may have a valid point: I have sent photos oversea which apparently never arrived and I was sent a photograph from a very respectable west coast subscriber which has not reached me. Does our Postal Service have a special shredder for us APUGers?
    Mail here is so bad, I always use Express Mail; for everything.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got burned in my first print exchange. Lots of us are busy and things get in the way but I think repeat offenders, say 3 times, excuses or no excuses, should be politely told that they are barred from exchanges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin