Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,931   Online: 808

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Band Room

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    French horn - and I was awful!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I kinda collect instruments too: I have entire gamelan orchestra, an anklung, a couple sulings, and a gong kebyar at my parents place. I've asked my GF to get me a bandura the next time her brother goes back to visit her mom.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Keric...sniff...sob...

Now I feel so...inadequate ...WAAAA-BOOOHOOO-WAAAAAAAA

Murray

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Cool Kerik, ever hear of

Ishkabibble?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Ever heard a contrabass sax live? I've had the fun and pleasure a couple of times of hearing one in a conservatory saxophone studio recital, with a saxphone "orchestra". What an instrument! Unless you have a phenomenal stereo and a superb recording, you'll get only a weak hint from a recording.

Lee
    Yes! I've seen and heard the Nuclear Whales live.The sound that comes out of that horn will vibrate your insides.

Kerik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Cool Kerik, ever hear of Ishkabibble?
    Nope! Tell me more...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    Speaking of hearing impairments...

All those years of playing clarinet in Army concert bands, plus bari sax in stage bands, has left me with a pretty substantial hearing loss and a nasty case of tinnitus. My right ear is much worse than my left. The damned ringing of the tinnitus used to really drive me crazy, but I'm getting used to it now...
    I remember playing with a big band in a retirement community. The entire reed section had hearing aids.

For those who don't know, the reeds sit in front. Behind them are the trombones. Behind them are the trumpets.

If you keep playing, there are some suggestions. You can get some really good earplugs from etymotic (they also make really good small headphones). You can get them already made, but you tend to get "occlusion". You know how it sounds when you put your finger in your ear when you sing and you hear yourself much louder? A better plan is to get the earplugs fitted by a good audiologist. Really good, not your average hearing aid dispenser. Get them to make the mold so it goes as deep into your ear canal as possible. Email the good folks at etymotic and they will send you instructions (or they did for me) about this.

Oh, yeah--as to the OP's question. Trumpet. Total gear-head. Last count, I have something like 9 trumpets (I need to count...or ask my wife). Used to play with local musical theater groups, a local community orchestra and a quintet...then I had kids.

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ishkabibble (sp) had a big band back in the day-before my time-I saw his picture in a book somewhere....might have been Leonard Feather's book...

he played a bass or a contra bass sax.....incredible instrument....very rare

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Merwyn Bogue, I think that was his name....when checked out Kerik's post on the nuclear whales the sax depicted...the large one...looks like it is larger than a bari...which would make it a fairly rare bass or contra etc...

It looks like we instrumentation for a small big band-theoretically speaking- or a brass quintet-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yup - I played the trumpet and piano. Went on to music college, dropped out at 19! Dont play much now, t and p that is, I play lots of guitar & mandolin instead

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin