Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,060   Online: 891

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stop it Damnit! I'm not allowed to spend any more money on e*bay. You guys suck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about Holgas, Lomos, or Pentax 110s ? Please?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Holgas...been using it since 1990 and I'm tired of it. Images are starting to look really the same from all the Holga stuff I've been seing but I'd like to see more Diana shots. They seem to have a more etheral look to it.
    Whose images are starting to look the same? Yours? Mine? I agree that there are way too many photogs who rely on the Holga (or Diana or fisheye or pinhole) as a device and that after a while, all such photos (not just the Holga ones) eventually start to look the same. The good ones, however, will transcend the effects of the equipment used and are effective anyway. Having seen so many LF studio shots of nudes I have certainly grown weary of them, but that doesn't mean that I'm not wowed by Gandolfi's work. Are you of the opinion that an interesting image cannot be made with certain pieces of equipment, in this case the Holga?

I would never argue that a Holga and a Diana are the same. They are not. But they are more alike than either is like a Hassy. To draw the between them there seems a fine distinction to me, akin to having a LF print exchange, but only permitting those cameras which have front and back movements. A legitimate distinction, but to me, an arbitrary one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    What's wrong with being a Luddite Elitist???
    Not a thing. I just realize the position was already filled.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss
    Just curious if there would be interest in an exchange of Diana (or clone) images. If not enough interest in Diana, perhaps it could be widened to include Holga or other toy cameras.

j
    Hé Jon,
    can the Diana (or the clone) be a home-modified one as well? We've got a Porst Happy and we're thinking of maybe attaching a better lens to it to get rid of that weird vignetting, repairing the light leaks, attaching a motor winder, finding a nice copal 0 and getting a rotating Pola back for it
    (sorry, couldn't help myself)

We might be interested, a lot depends on the time schedule of your project.
    Norm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    I would never argue that a Holga and a Diana are the same. They are not. But they are more alike than either is like a Hassy. To draw the between them there seems a fine distinction to me, akin to having a LF print exchange, but only permitting those cameras which have front and back movements. A legitimate distinction, but to me, an arbitrary one.
    Well, not quite. The real distinction is between the optics. It would be like saying a Verito and Gundlach Triple Convertible on a view camera give close enough results. But, the Verito is diffused and dreamy and the GTC is just not very sharp (at least the one I have).

There is a difference between the Diana and all other "toy" cameras. I'm not interested in acquiring unsharp Holga pictures. I am interested in trading dreamy Diana pics. There's a reason why Dianas are sought after and command high prices. If you can't see the difference, you probably think Pepsi and Coke are too similar to distinguish as well.

If others want to have a Holga pic exchange, go for it. For that matter, have a "toy" camera pic exchange and let everything in. Or do a 2 1/4 pic exchange and let those Hassy pics rub up against the Holgas'. But, the original idea here was for a Diana pic exchange, that's what I'm interested in, and that's what I think it should remain.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    What about Holgas, Lomos, or Pentax 110s ? Please?

Art.
    NO! Next thing you'll be wanting to include Leicas.

The line has been drawn.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck with the exchange! There seems to be some interest in a broader toy cam print exchange, so unless there is some objection, I will start a separate thread for that. Folks here can direct any further non-Diana inquiries in that direction...
    Last edited by PhotoPete; 11-18-2005 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever is happeing to this exchange? Is it on/off/what? Has it been expanded to include all Toy Cameras? Is there a breakaway faction? Enquiring minds want to know....

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it on, or not?
    Last edited by clay; 01-03-2006 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: this thread is more stale than I realized

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin