Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,552   Online: 1165

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141819202122232425 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add my thanks to Leon for organizing us and to Simon and all at Ilford/Harman for an interesting and informative day. They all made us very welcome (especially when you consider that they were preaching to the choir!) and are all obviously full of enthusiasm for what they do. Reminded me of one of the old-school companies you do not get very often nowadays where everyone knows everyone else and most have been working there since first starting work many years ago...

Cheers, Bob.

P.S. Yes indeedy, coating machines are BIG - even the small ones...

P.P.S. Did Simon mention the gas bill at all? I don't remember...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to add my appreciation of Leon's and Simon's efforts as prime movers in organising our visit to Ilford's, as well as all the others that we were privileged to meet there. My overriding memory will be how enthusiastic, and helpful everyone was together their dedication to quality control at every stage of all processes. And yes; the size of their gas bill was mentioned occasionally.

Wonderful also to be able to put more faces to familiar APUG names, hope to see you all again one and all.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To echo everyone else a big thank you to Simon, Ilford and Leon for organising this. My feet have finally recovered as the site is much bigger than a few of us expected!

One interesting area was R&D. This completely refutes any claims that Ilford either haven't got the R&D staff or that they aren't actively pursuing development of new products. The other thing that comes over again and again is the dedication and enthusiasm of the staff towards the company. As Bob said it's a quality that is rarely found in companies these days.

The production areas are fascinating with it's mixture of high tech and manual procedures and the QC procedures are very stringent at every stage of production.

There were also some interesting statements about the fine art market, an area that Ilford are heavily committed to. Photographers want to produce their images on silver gelatin and the fine art buyers want the same. The traditional products being produced for the hybrid digital/analog market are very exciting indeed.

It was nice to be able to finally meet some other APUG members and put some faces to the names. It's strengthened my resolve to get to the next UK gathering wherever it is held.

Once again a big thank you to Simon, Leon and everyone at Ilford.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've visited a number of chemical plants as part of my job, but it's the first factory I've come across that's also an art gallery! On many walls, in the offices, labs, along all the corridors are some amazing prints.

I've also got an idea for a prize for a new Ilford competition, how about a "trolley dash" around the warehouse! They'd have to give the winner at least 5 or 10 minutes though as the place is vast.

Mike
    Last edited by mikeg; 06-03-2006 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    I've also got an idea for a new Ilford competition, how about a "trolley dash" around the warehouse! They'd have to give the winner at least 5 or 10 minutes though as the place is vast.

Mike
    As long as it's a fork lift trolley.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg

I've also got an idea for a new Ilford competition, how about a "trolley dash" around the warehouse!

Mike
    Good idea Mike; I will wave the start flag, and count you back over the finish line.

My feet still hurt.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    once again, a big thanks to Ilford Harman for the efforts they went to in welcoming us, keeping us happy (nice cakes and generous freebies) and giving us all an amazing tour of the factory and it's workings. I cant really add much to what everyone else has said, other than it has reinforced my own reasons for using ilford products and given a greater understanding of why limited runs of dead and gone products are completely infeasible - when Simon says here that it's just not practicable, then it REALLY isnt practicable!

BTW - I'm not sure that what I did counts as "organising", I just picked up on a statement by Simon in another thread, held onto it for dear life, an ran all the way Mobberly, compiling a few lists of names on the way. But thanks for the thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have been the eyes and ears (and voice) for many more of us that could not be there..... A Very Big Thank You guys. This is really Great, and I have enjoyed hearing about your trip. Sounds like it was more than fun, and quite informative. Simon, we all appreciate what you and Ilford do for us...hopefully we return the favor, by using Ilford product.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    snip... and given a greater understanding of why limited runs of dead and gone products are completely infeasible - when Simon says here that it's just not practicable, then it REALLY isnt practicable!
    Coming from a manufacturing environment, I completely understand this part and the part when manufacturers have to raise their prices. Also, the 'quality' statement - maintaining a high quality level for multiple and different small runs takes enoromous effeort and costs. I think Ilford reducing their SKUs is a good thing for Ilford - yes it may be a bad thing for some of us, but a dead Ilford is no good to anyone.

I hope with this understanding, people may understand Kodak a bit more too. If you thought Ilford was big....

BTW - I'm not sure that what I did counts as "organising", I just picked up on a statement by Simon in another thread, held onto it for dear life, an ran all the way Mobberly, compiling a few lists of names on the way. But thanks for the thanks guys
    Well, I didn't end up going, but you did a great thing. Thanks.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A note to say thanks to all at Harman and Leon for organising the trip.

I was very impressed with the size of the site and also the obvious dedication and loyality of all staff. You had the impression the company was (excuse the cliche) one big happy family.

I also very much enjoyed meeting so many people for the first time.

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin