Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,217   Online: 1044

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

APUG "Community Equipment & Supplies"

OK then, the flag is running up the flagpole. I was wondering if it was practical or even possible for us as a community to create a pool of equipment that can be donated to our less financially well off members who cannot otherwise acquire equipment to further their photographic efforts.

Witness the fantastic response to my request for equipment to create a darkroom for a foster home in Washington state. Think about how many other youngsters around the world that we all may know. How many of them are potential photographer/printers without the equipment? Our brothers and sisters in the former Soviet Union ( for example ) are a creative bunch. How many can afford what we in the west have?

J&C and Ilford both have a presence on our site. Is it possible that they might be able to find surplus or slow moving product which might be donated to the cause? Are there other manufacturers we can contact for donations?

I'm not sure how such an effort would be organized. Who would store the equipment and ship it? Who would verify the need for the equipment? Who would be responsible for collecting it in one location? Would it be better off in an electronic warehouse? In other words, members could offer up the equipment to the pool but hang on to it until the need presents itself?

Anybody saluting?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think it's an interesting idea, and sometimes it works, as in the case you've described or Jim Galli's Deep Springs College workshop, and sometimes it's a little slow going, as in the case of rexp's loaner MF camera, which was plagued by shipping issues and lukewarm response at first, though I think it's working now.

Maybe it's best doing it case-by-case as it's happened, so when someone has a worthy project, APUGgers will step up to the plate to fill the need.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that human nature will keep people from putting stuff up for use until they know who the final end-user will be.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Salute! I have a couple of pieces of equipment that I'd rather see in the hands of artists without the means, than a marginal profit I'd get from selling. If the concept can't be organized on a large scale as envisioned, I think many of us can take the intiative to do so in our own communities. It doesn't have to end with donating equipment either...you can donate your time interacting/teaching/promoting
    /mentoring children & adults interested in the photographic arts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been accumulating stuff for years, and giving it to students.

That's the good news. What's left is sort of special. That's the bad news.

If we can structure this a little, not to have control over people or be judgemental, but to know the gear is going to a good home, I'm for it.

Let's talk.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    127 Format
    I was thinking of this (again in relation to the recent collection of equipment for a specific cause)...

Could we introduce an "APUG Sponsored school darkroom" scheme?

If we can find schools interested in providing space, and time, then they're the place that equipment can do the most good.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin