Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,994   Online: 820

View Poll Results: Would you participate in an Elite Print Exchange?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 9.86%
  • No

64 90.14%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Spotting hint: Use a bigger film. A dust spot the size of a grain of dust is acceptable, enlared to the size of a pea it's not...

Spotting question: Does anyone know of a spotting ink/paint/pigment that matches the reflectivity of a FB print? Well-spotted prints are ugly in the wrong lighting...
    Spot Tone is fine. I prefer working from dried solution in a dish. Distilled water. Use test prints to match the tone. The reflectivity is fine. Add gum arabic if you need more gloss. Old timers ( like the previous owners of Ole's cameras ) started with india ink and gum.

The 'dot' ought to disappear.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    So far that's what they're doing. They are the ones not participating and when I asked them why? This 'quality' thing was the answer I got. There are many, many more than what the poll is indicating so far. It's the reason for me starting this thread.

Regards, Art.
    So how about a large print exchange? Minimum size would be 11x14 up to a maximum of 20x24.

Maybe that would incentivize people to create a high quality print since it would cost more to make.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    So how about a large print exchange? Minimum size would be 11x14 up to a maximum of 20x24.

Maybe that would incentivize people to create a high quality print since it would cost more to make.

Don Bryant
    Replying to my own post ...

What about a mini-portfolio exchange. 5 or more prints required.

Just a thought.

Don Bryant

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Minimum size would be 11x14 up to a maximum of 20x24.
    Or a big film exchange. Minimum negative size 8x10"?

Or - a "Historical camera" exchange? Camera and lens to be made before 1906, technique to be familiar to photographers of that time?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that the exchanges are a community event, to be entered in to in a spirit of mutual respect and good fellowship (sorry if I'm beginning to sound like a Victorian clergyman)...

I was not aware that the idea was to amass a quantity of "good" prints. If someone feels their work is too good for the general membership then by all means that can start their own "by invitation" group, but I can't help but feel they would be missing the whole point of the exercise.

Cheers, Bob.

P.S. What Dave said too....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I voted no! because I participate for the fun of giving and receiving. As far as print quality is concerned, I send only prints I am satisfied with, that I would choose to hang on a wall. No seconds or unfinished prints.
    Concerning matting/mounting the prints... I can't afford that. I have two or three prints waiting to be matted for a soon to be group show and I am going to have to scramble to afford the materials. So when I participate in an exchange I state up front that I would prefer UN-mounted/matted prints in return. And some day I will be able to afford to matt the growing pile of exchange prints.
    The idea of an Elitist Print Exchange just seems to rub me the wrong way.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Or a big film exchange. Minimum negative size 8x10"?

Or - a "Historical camera" exchange? Camera and lens to be made before 1906, technique to be familiar to photographers of that time?
    Ole,

The intent of my post was not meant to suggest just another exchange but rather create a venue or context to motivate people to produce their very best work.

Personally I think that producing a coherent small portfoilio would be very challenging and may spur people to invest more time than merely the time required to work in their darkroom.

Just my thoughts,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    This should be treated like any 'gift' giving -- have a desire to give and be grateful about what you receive.
    I agree with that. I will be in the "other" print exchange and it will be my first. I know that some of skillls lack but from what I have seen and read that's what it is all about.

g

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I hardly know what to say. I've particiapated in two exchanges with APUG groups and each time it was a great experience. I tried my very best to send the best fiber based prints I could make. I received a lot of very nice prints that I am proud to hang in my home and a few that I thought could have used more work but it was fun waiting for the mail to see what I would get. And it was fun waiting to hear what people thought of the prints I sent out. I would hate to think we would discourage new members from participating and having the opportunity to enjoy such a fun experience. I did like it better when it was broken into a small manageable group of 4 or 5 people exchanging. I urge you not to make it difficult for new members or make it intimidating. Just don't particiapate if you think your work is so far above the rest of us. What a shame though.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I am still learning the art/craft of enlarging. I only just consider myself able enough to make postcards.
    This is typical of the other side of the coin. People are way too hard on themselves.

So in the past round of exchanges, many APUGers will remember my PM encouraging them to particpate in the any of the print exchanges. I did this by going to the galleries and asking people whose galleries I thought had some merit (Who the heck am I to judge, right? Another thread.) I did so in an effort to increase the particpation rate and I also checked out their posting frequency and particpation in general. If they looked to be active, I sent them a PM. I had plans to do this again this round, but really have no time (although one would point out this lengthy post as a rebuttal).

So discarding all the "I have no time" responses, which is understandable, the rest of the responses fell into two camps - those that weren't good enough and those that were too good.

Well, the last part is my interpretation of their response. They've particpated before and consider some of the prints they've recieved of an unacceptable standard. Remember the whole "to mount/mat or not" debate? Or the RC versus FB paper debate? I mean that alone was 50/50 - many people have certain expectations. And that's just about materials.

I have feedback on a whole raft of 'quality' issues. The printing is poor, spilled coffee, discarded prints, no real effort put into the print, etc....

I think this discourages newbies like AndyK to particpate. So how do we get newbies to particpate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    Just don't particiapate if you think your work is so far above the rest of us.
    As I mentioned earlier, that's what they are doing right now. Some have participated in earlier exchanges at my encouragement, but have dropped out since due to the 'quality' issue.

I guess I wanted to get a discussion going on a couple things, besides getting more newbies and more particpation in general:

• How to get these 'master printers' to particpate - maybe in their own club? Some have said they would, although the poll reveals their shyness, if they knew the others particpating were 'in their league'. Do we even care they are particpating in a print exchange or not?
    • How to get newbies access to mentors and peers in the darkroom area. I know, as a newbie, I have greatly appreciated the comments and feedback I have personally recieved in the Alternative Print Exchange. In fact the feedback has inspired me. How do get more of this access? Is this even a 'need' and is this too taxing on those whose printing skills we consider 'great'? Remember the debate around Per's free workshops? Would this just be another way to displace a professional's income?
    • Do I think too much in the morning and come up with these cockamany(sp?) ideas and should just go about my day without posting on APUG until I shake my head a few times?
    Discuss away....

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin