Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,325   Online: 905

View Poll Results: Would you participate in an Elite Print Exchange?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 9.86%
  • No

64 90.14%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The elitist print exchange?

I have had several people tell me they don't particpate in the print exchanges because they feel the level of quality is too low for their standards. Hence, the question...

So would people particpate in a print exchange where there would be a minimum level of acceptable quality for materials? Say....

• fibre based paper
    • mounted on archival board
    • 8ply acid free cotton rag mat
    And, add to that an acceptable print quality as well...that is, no spilled coffee or throw aways, but print processing as if your life depended on it?

Who's in?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nope, not me... the whole concept makes me laugh! I've seen some stuff I wouldn't let my dog crap on in galleries, is that a guide?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An archivally mounted fibre print is no guarantee for a good image.

G

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I voted "no", but not because I don't like the idea. I participated in one group print exchange just when I was starting LF photographyand the idea was that I would get to see what I should be aiming for. I found out very quickly that there are folks who operate in a whole different strata. Someday I will participate again. For now .... no ... not until my photography improves drastically.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also voted no. I am still learning the art/craft of enlarging. I only just consider myself able enough to make postcards.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send a picture to someone whose (work) (opinion) you (admire) (respect),
    no need to make it a club.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Difficult one. It's interesting to note that in the print exchanges the 2 people who have never sent me a print have been professionals. Was my print that bad that it didn't warrant a reply?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This should be treated like any 'gift' giving -- have a desire to give and be grateful about what you receive.
    Last edited by mrcallow; 03-11-2006 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: it may have been a tad nasty

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I do the print exchanges mainly for the challenge of keeping myself printing for a critical audience. If I get great prints in return--and I often do--that's a bonus.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I do the print exchanges mainly for the challenge of keeping myself printing for a critical audience. If I get great prints in return--and I often do--that's a bonus.
    Pretty much echo what David said. I participated in the first four print exchanges and always got excellent prints. Since then I've mostly traded with individuals.

My other reason for voting "No" in the poll is the 8-ply matt. No way, Jose'. Too expensive, too hard to cut. A very elitist requirement.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin