Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,586   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are print exchanges about giving or recieving?

I say they are about both. Here's what I mean.

I like giving prints to people. That's all I have ever done to be honest, since I started photography. I'm just glad someone likes any one of my prints enough to say so to me. I take pride in sending prints too. Hopefully people see that when they get one of my prints.

On the other side, I like recieving prints more.

I have recieved amazing alternative prints; my first exposure (pun?) to a PT print was from Jeremy Moore that got me into alternative processes. Jeanette sent me a calendar in one exchange that I kept in my office and still keep around in my collection. I now wish I joined the postcard exchange 5 rounds earlier, even though this round is proving to be a problem for me (I'm a colour slide photographer mostly without a 'real' darkroom, so I'm not sure what to do - yet). I think the Toy Camera Print Exchange was long overde and I know there's more Holgaphiles out there. I've got two amazing infrared prints - one from PATS and the other from aj-images, both of whom sadly don't particpate any more. Plus I have some simply amazing prints from the group exchanges that are to many to list.

I enjoy reading through the various notes that have come with these prints. How they were created, what the thought process was, what the workflow was. Nige's note about stealing his kid's idea was excellent. Of course I like the images themselves.

And of course who can forget the Blind Print Exchange where your Secret Santa will send you a print out of the blue one day.

I have, in participating in these print exchanges, a diversity of prints that have enriched my home by making me feel as part of a greater community.

It's not about the materials, it's not even about the images to me, it's about participating.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am the master of the 'work print' I have boxes and boxes of them. The exchanges are the majority of what prints I produce that get to be my 'finished' prints. Whether they are any good is beside the point, they definitely froce me to go the extra mile, as I know whoever's getting it is going to look very closely at print quality. I also generally select something I haven't printed before. Even postcards get better treatment than my regular 'work' prints. When you're flashing, split grade printing, 5 different burns & toning a postcard you know you're doing more than the minimum (ohh, that was my 1st postcard... I'm a better negative selector now!). I don't care what I receive, as long as the person has tried their best and taken a bit of care in the packaging to make sure it gets here as it left them.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unlike Nige, I consider myself a "Grand Master of the Doesn't-Work-at-All-Print".

I have a trashcan full of them, which I empty before every darkroom session.

My postcards (I've withdrawn from that for a while) were made from negatives which required an absolute minimum of manipulation; the prints for the other exchanges are drawn from the negatives I feel I might make work in some way. One of them had a base exposure of 5 seconds, with most of it burned in at up to 120 seconds...

I make one print first, then have it framed. I then give it to my wife to hang in her office - if she wants it it's at least "promising". If it stays up for more than a week it's good. Twice I've received requests for prints for her colleagues - I take that as an indication that they're good.

What I like about the print exchanges is that they give me both an indication of what others consider to be their best prints; as well as giving me an opportunity to show off some of my best efforts. I admit to having used "substandard" packaging on occasion, and intend to improve on that.

So now I really should start thawing out my darkroom - it was -2C there today
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel they must be about giving, that is the side of the exchange we have control over. These exchanges are a valuable incentive to produce my best work. All of the prints I have received in return has been very welcome, and considered more than adequate recompense for my own efforts.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am with Nige on this one.
    Print exchanges make me produce a final print and are a good motivation. In some way, I like the stage of taking, i.e. exposing, a picture more.

On the other hand, it's always been rewarding on the receiving part. All of the prints I received during the exchanges, are/will be mouted and put on the wall in our house sometime.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All I have done so far is sent a few people postcards.
    Having read, in the other thread you posted, what is expected in a print exchange I feel my current standard is nowhere near good enough, therefore I will be leaving it quite a while before I join. But for me personally it is about giving, the same as at Christmas.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Having read, in the other thread you posted, what is expected in a print exchange I feel my current standard is nowhere near good enough, therefore I will be leaving it quite a while before I join. But for me personally it is about giving, the same as at Christmas.
    I don't think you should run yourself down Andy. If you take a look through your gallery you can clearly see some excellent work. For example, your "skyrat", the sepia toned window, "pounce" and the morning after are all excellent shots and would more than hold their own in the print exchanges (that's if there was a competitive element which of course there most definitely isn't). I think you could also include your father's shot of London Bridge which again is excellent. I would be delighted to receive any of those in an exchange. You don't need to use fibre paper either, the key thing is to do your best, enjoy it and have some fun.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having read, in the other thread you posted, what is expected in a print exchange I feel my current standard is nowhere near good enough, therefore I will be leaving it quite a while before I join.
    Surely, you are not talking about the 'Elitist Print Exchange' thread? That is NOT what is expected from particpants. That thread is meant to debate several issues that I have recieved as feedback.

The Blind Print Exchange, which I am organizing, is actually very liberal in its expectations - except for sending and getting one print, there's basically no other expectations.

Hopefully this will encourage you to particpate, in any of the print exchanges. They are all good.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    127 Format
    Having read, in the other thread you posted, what is expected in a print exchange I feel my current standard is nowhere near good enough

What I think i read in the other thread was a VERY small minority (look at the poll results!) who think that the print exchange is a way for them to get gallery standard art for free, and everyone else who told them to get lost. If they want 20x16 platinum contact prints exposed to the sun at midnight by naked maidens, and mounted on 76ply hand rolled mount board they can go to a gallery and BUY one.

Print exchanges are about EXCHANGING. You give something, you get something. We're a little better for both. In the sending I see the best I can do, and in the receiving I sometimes see a standard that I'd like to aim for, and other times I see that I'm doing ok. I learn something about me, and I learn something about another member of the comunitee - and that is a large part of what makes it a comunutee.

The ONLY reason not to be involved is if you can't make an exchange in good faith. If you make the best print you can, then no one should complain, or moan or in anyway feel short changed. If they do, then the exchange organisers should kick THEM out.

I dropped out of the print exchange several rounds ago when I couldn't produce a print I was proud of. I should make good, and get back involved.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    exposed to the sun at midnight by naked maidens,
    Ian
    Now you have my attention. :o
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin