Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,904   Online: 1175

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by komet
    Is the Postcard Exchange not covered by this deadbeat list?

anthony

Hi Anthony,

So far the postcard list hasn't been part of the deadbeats but I'm kept in the loop. Rnd 5 had good participation with only one person not fullfulling their commitments. Hopefully we'll get a perfect score this round.

regards, Nige.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    Publicly referencing these individuals as deadbeats, named or not named, is uncool.
    So what do we call them? Some of these people haven't honoured their committment for more than a year and are still actively members of APUG?
    Until you kow all the facts, I would refrain from future posts like this.
    So after several PMs have been sent to these folks over 6 months with no response and empty promises, but they're still active APUGers, we should just leave them alone?
    I'm not one of them BTW...but I'd be pissed if I was.
    And the people who honoured their committment but didn't get a print?
    Move on...
    One more vote to let the deadbeats off. Fine by me.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    I've not been in any print exchange so I'm not one of the "deadbeats" (But you have forced me into defending myself before I've voiced an opinion (Not Cool).
    I suggest YOU know all the facts first before you post idiocy like this.
    The entire issue of who's a deadbeat and who's not has absolutely no relevance to the group (except in a voyeuristic way). This is only important to the moderator(s) who should be doing the best they can to keep the Exchange going, or find someone who will. I don't appreciate your airing dirty laundry in a public forum for whatever personal purpose you have.
    I'm not airing dirty laundry!?! I'm bringing up an issue that has had a negative effect on these exchanges - the NUMBER 1 reason more people do not particpate - and the issue is growing. This thread is about what to do. So far for several months, things have been done behind the scenes with little to no effect.

BTW the moderators have nothing to do with the exchanges, it's the volunteer organizers who do.
    And don't give that B.S. your doing your job, you're not when you can't handle the messy parts.
    You need to really KNOW what you're writing about before you make a post. I won't even correct your errors in this statement here.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Frankly, I'm all in favor of some kind of punitive action against people who sign up for print exchanges but refuse to send their prints. There should be some kind of system in place however, before said punitive action occurs. IE if they fail to respond to 3 PMs in 3 months, some APUG priviledge will be suspended (lock their gallery from more postings, no more than 2 posts per day, no access to the classifieds, you decide). That rule set needs to be in place BEFORE the print exchange starts, so that they know what the consequences are for not playing through before they sign up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with several of the posters here. If the number 1 reason for not participating is due to broken exchanges, and you want to improve the process, you need to look at a proactive process similar to what David describes. Although that process increases the amount of work the exchange coordinator must perform, it guarantees that nobody receives a print if they didn't send a print. If increasing participation via eliminating broken exchanges is truely paramount, the extra work should be inconsequential.
    If you are looking to simply limit the damage without revamping the process, then it certainly makes sense to prevent people who have a history of creating broken exchanges to continue to participate in print exchanges. I don't think this should be a universal rule however. If the exchange coordinator chooses to look at the black list and limit participation it should be up to them. I would imagine that the coordinator should post the participation rules that the specific exchange is using so that people can choose to participate or not based on what they feel their risk might be.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been involved in exchanges in other forums. You make 15 or 20 prints send them off, only to find that 3 or 4 months later the coordinator has given up on the dead-beats and you get half a dozen prints and 12 of your own back. Uncool! Uncool? Bull$#!+. Art has given these deadbeats over six months now. I agree with Jeff and the SLACKER tattoo. Although Flying Camera's punishment is more workable and deserved.

I started with the blind exchange because I was tired of making a number of prints only to be stiffed for my work. At least with the blind exchange it's only one print.
    And that's the real rip. It's only one damn print. If you cannot send one print six months after the deadline just what are you? Uncool? No, your a DEADBEAT. And that's the best thing I can think to say.

If you live on the coast of Mississippi and your darkroom is now in the Gulf, That is a reason all could understand. But when 20% turn out to have lied, slacked, piked, stiffed or deadbeated, that is too much.

You got a problem with the deadbeat post? You talk the talk but don't walk the walk? Then don't join an exchange.

Art, thank you for all the work that you have done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been participating in exchanges for years. You always have your share of deadbeats. It doesn't bother me. I figure that the subconscious effect it will have on their photography is punishment enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I would be more likely to join a print exchange if they weren't so large... making and then mailing 29 prints is no small amount. Postage alone would be expensive.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I think I would be more likely to join a print exchange if they weren't so large... making and then mailing 29 prints is no small amount. Postage alone would be expensive.
    The only large one to date is the postcard exchange. All the others are less than 6. The group exchange is 4-5, the blind exchange is 1.

Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood your original post to mean people were owing totals of 29 prints each.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin