Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,935   Online: 873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just a reminder that we're in the chatroom tonight 10 Eastern, 7 Pacific time, for about an hour. Come one come all!

You guys missed out!
    Thanks for organizing the chat!
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I learned a bunch about the North end of the Swell, and am heading down there this weekend to explore.

I aso found that LFGuy and I live in the same town!

A good source of scenic sites, interesting geological features (among those 34 arches and bridges), native rock art and other features can be found at:

http://www.ut.blm.gov/sanrafaelswell/index.htm

They even have some basic maps and directions.

Guy

Sorry I missed it. I hope my reply to B.E. in another forum helped some. I'm in the same neighborhood as you guys and actually know the Swell quite well.
    Is there a transcript or notes anywhere?

Guy
    http://scenicwild.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ah, I thought you were the 'Guy" from the nature photographer forum.

No transcript, but we talked mostly about the northern part of the Swell. I'd still like some info about the Sinbad area, but I guess my own exporation will do.

I'm heading down there this weekend (northern side, Little Grand canyon area).

Oh, LF Guy and I are in Provo; I take it you are in the SLC area?

Guy

Yes, I'm in the Holladay/Cottonwood area (just south and east of SLC).
    I'll be down in Escalante this weekend, but we should try and find a time to explroe the Swell together. Like I mentioned on NPN - my favorite spots there are not vehicle accessible and well worth the hike.

Guy

I was going to Escalante, but right now the plan for me is to be camping in Bell & Little Wild Horse this weekend, which is a nice hike, but I might try some of the scenic road stops if time permits.

I just picked up Steve Allen's Canyoneering the San Rafael Swell and Michael Kesley's Hiking and Exploring Utah's San Rafael Swell on the advice of my cousin. When I have the time, I will look for information on the Sinbad area. The only think I recall seeing on a quick glance were just markings on the map for the Heart of Sinbad road and the Head of Sinbad off I-70, not too far from the Swasey cabin.

Good luck this weekend!

Guy

Kelsey's book is slightly out of date. Some of the dirt roads he mentions are no longer accessible from I-70 and you'll need to find other ways of getting to them.
    Sinbad is actually not all that interesting, in my opinion. Eagle Canyon is great and not too far.
    Also - Little Wild Horse is very heavily travelled. If you're looking for solitude, I'd recommend Crack canyon instead.

Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin