Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,639   Online: 999

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago, Ironwood National Monument was created here in Southern Arizona. It is an amazing area filled with wildlife, ancient ruins, and some great vistas.

It is seemingly a bit neglected though. The BLM who run it are slowly surveying it and cataloging it, but it seems to get few visitors and little press. Probably because it is on the western side of the Tucson Mountains and is relatively dry compared to the Rincons and Santa Catalinas. It also requires a 4WD vehicle, and the roads are poorly mapped.

Anyway, I am organizing a photo expedition to head out there for the day this March. The goal being to just get people out there and see what comes of it all. I personally have a Jeep and can take 3 people with me. Any other 4WD vehicles are welcome of course and highly appreciated.

A date in March has not been set yet. I am HOPING to set one that coincides with the predicted bloom of the wildflowers down here. It looks like there may be some good spots in Ironwood for wildflower shoots. Rain there has been a bit above normal and some areas have carpets of green shoots which I am told might very well be wildflowers.

So if anyone is interested either e-mail me, or post here. Southern AZ is a great place to shoot in March and all are welcome.

Plus it is free. What more do ya want?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am trying to find Ironwood National Monument but maybe my map is to old. I am useing MS streets and trips on the computer. Can you give me towns or Indian Rez's for reference.

lee\c

ps I have a 4 wheel drive pickup.

l\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am considering making this trip. I would have to drive from Fort Worth and that would take at least a couple of days. It is around 600 miles from Ft Worth to El Paso and then probably 350 to Tucson. So two hard days. I have invited a fellow from LA to come if that is ok. After all, it is only one day. I have a friend in Tucson that is a large format guy and he might want to come. I have open the week of the 10th as my wife will be in Branson, Mo with her sisters. I would just need to find someone I could trust to feed the livestock (2 dogs). Is there a way to start to plan more on this deal? Are you talking about the weekend like Saturday? Inquiring minds want to know.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Robert,
    Has anymore been done for the trip to Ironwood National Monument? The reason I ask is I have a pretty narrow time frame to work with. If I left on the
    5th or 6th I would be in Tucson on the 8th baring any auto related problems. Actually I would be there on the eve of Friday the 7 and would be ready for Sat the 8th to go down and photograph. If you are thinking a Sunday I could just leave a day later. My friend fom LA will attend and there might be another guy I know that lives in Tucson that will want to go. My LA friend and I plan on photographing in the southern AZ area for at least another 3 or 4 days. I would like to go over to Bisbee and photograph in that country for a day or two.
    So, what is your plan?

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Aggie,
    Where will you be flying into? SWA goes to Pheonix and I think Tucson. WE can get you to the airport. Do you still want to fly to Dallas for the day and then fly over to Tucson. I am gonna drive but it will be at least a two day trip each way.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow! Talk about a response.

O.k. First off. Location.

Ironwood is new. VERY new. Like 2 years old or something like that. Clinton had it desiginated before he left office, although the plan for it was in the works for a long time. It is basically an aggregate of federal land that was sort of just sitting there and turned out to be one of the last real places for the Ironwood tree. So they merged it.

Here is the website with some info on it.

http://azwww.az.blm.gov/ironwood/ironwood.htm

Ironwood is located to the west of Saguaro National Park West. It is about 15 minutes from the Desert Museum to Ironwood. Basically Ironwood covers parts of the Silverbell Mountains between Tucson and the Tohono O'Odham reservation.

As for dates and time -

Any weekend will work for me at this point. Early March looks great. Saturday or Sunday. I'll let you guys sort of work out the details on this so we can figure out the ideal day. Then we can figure out transportation and other things.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin