Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,774   Online: 905

View Poll Results: If a print in a Print Exchange is "lost in the mail", ...

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sender should send another one

15 40.54%
  • Recipient is SOL

7 18.92%
  • Don't know Art, I don't envy you as an organizer ...

15 40.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Insuring and tracking adds an unreasonable cost to international shipping, especially as tax may be demanded of the recipient.

This far I believe I have received everything that was actually sent, but a few have arrived rather mangled.

If possible I would think it is reasonable to send a replacement print if it gets lost or trashed in the mail.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Unless it was a complex, obscure alternative process print, I think a replacement should be sent. As I don't do complex, obscure alternative processes, that is what I would do.

In the UK print exchanges I typically send two prints at a time anyway.

Also, the cost of a replacement print is probably less than any insurance and tracking and the tracking doesn't stop it getting lost anyway, it just let's you know about it!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest send another one, but with contact and agreement from the recipients. The trouble is getting to find out whether they have received their print or not. I sent out my prints for the last Lith exchange months ago but despite PM and forum messages not one of the intended recipients have said yeah or nah as to their arrival. I don't mind if they don't have any complimentary comments and I'm sorry if they don't like them, but at least let me know if they have arrived or not....

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keeds View Post
    (..) despite PM and forum messages not one of the intended recipients have said yeah or nah as to their arrival. I don't mind if they don't have any complimentary comments and I'm sorry if they don't like them, but at least let me know if they have arrived or not....
    My sentiments exactly!

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Kraker 100%! Post when you have received your print esecially in the BPE.
    That has happened to me when I sent a print and it was never received and the expense was considerable. What I neglected to do was put the value of the print at $0 and say that it was a gift otherwise it will be in the Customs Abyss and never see the light of day!
    Also Steven Frizza sent me two postcards from Australia when the first one didn't arrive and the second one never arrived either! Making the resending of a print voluntary instead of mandatory is a good idea too. Most people wouldn't mind but sometimes the cost might be too much and should be an option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should be optional to resend based on circumstances (time, expense, and if the receipient or sender is still active on APUG). I would have no issue resending a print. I don't believe Art should be held accountable to police this though. Perhaps after a certain point in time Art can let the receipient know who the sender was and the two can work it out themselves.
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's an "Exchange", and the sender needs to realize that they need to print extras just in case something gets lost, or even damaged in shipping.

After all, the choices made when packaging and sending the print can have huge effects on the condition of the print. If I recieved a print that had merely been slipped into an envelope and mailed with no protective padding or a stiffener added to keep the print from being folded, and the print was severely damaged, I would not find that acceptable for an exchange.

If it had been well packaged, and it was still damaged, as the sender, I would resend another copy to the recipient. If it never made it, well, I would send one again, with tracking to make sure it did get there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I say resend. kate have you gotten my post card yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not Yet, Stephen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me neither Stephen... ;-)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin