Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 709

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Several of the people on this group have discussed the possibility to put together an alternative process travelling portfolio to send around to the members that are interested.

If anyone is interested in the possibility of this, let's talk about it publicly here, and maybe we can get one started. I've discussed this with Jorge, and they will set up a private room for us if this happens, so we can discuss the images and other items in a private forum.

I am thinking that I would like to limit the portfolio to only alternative process images, and to North America to keep the arrangements simple for everyone.

This portfolio would be an opportunity for everyone to participate, and I would like to see everyone that is active in this group in the portfolio. There are several reasons for this; it is difficult for someone to judge what another person is saying unless you have a little bit of context to the style of printing that the others do.

I understand that some people sell their work, and I think it is possible to submit a print that has flaws or has been cancelled so there is no concern about the print being lost in the shuffle, and if it is lost, there is no inherent value to the image.

The portfolio will be a great opportunity for beginners to have feedback from more experienced printers if they wish, and a good way to get tactile exposure with a variety of processes and see what particular printing methods and procedures can do. These benefits are much too subtle to see in any scanned image, and can really only be done by viewing the image in your hands.

Is there any interest in such a portfolio?

---Michael

An Alternative Portfolio is a wonderful idea and I would certainly wish to participate.

I think that it is possible that the idea of North America is being proposed for the advantage of expediency and not as an exclusionary device. I am not aware of all the logistics of the other portfolio however it has been almost a year since the other group was initiated and it has yet to make one circuit so that the discussion can begin.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist with the project and please place me near the end of the circuit so I have time to work on my humble offering!

Cheers Annie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be interested. I understand Mike's logic however I'd hate to exclude anyone across the pond just over a couple bucks.

In order to keep shipping $$ down we should probably restrict prints to no bigger than _______. And maybe have a shipping pool that some of us who don't have to pay much can chip into for the ones that pay out big..

That's if it's we're talking 10 bucks or more. Personally anything less than that and the administration just isn't worth bothering about.

Cheers,
    Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The current Traveling Portfolio moves slowly, but that's okay by me. I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff for the opportunity to connect with a larger cross section of the active participants on the forum. When it gets back to New York, I'd like to organize a gathering so that participants and non-participants can meet and have a chance to look at it.

As far as the shipping goes, there are a few people who have volunteered to handle the heavier shipping costs, and given how long it takes to go around, it's not such a burden. If you wanted to start a new portfolio for alt processes, you might just see who wants to participate, and if there are going to be participants who are in some remote part of the globe, relatively speaking, then at that point work on the logistics of how to do it, rather than restricting it up front. Other alternatives might be trading off on the bigger shipping bills, which seems to be happening with the existing Traveling Portfolio as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, I think it is a great idea, even though I probably would not participate at this date. If you want to organize it and seek participants with certain guidelines and parameters I see nothing wrong with that. This site is supposed to be about sharing of knowledge between photographers of any and all experience levels.

I am trying to get more people involved in the blind print exchange that I started. Anyone can participate and there are no real restrictions except no digital prints. Beginners as well as those with years of experience are welcome. So consider that one a general purpose exchange.

We also have the regular traveling portfolio, post card exchange and an exchange gallery.

I think the more opportunities to share work with others the better. And if you want to get a group together with similar approaches or ideas that is great. Share the work. Nothing stimulates your thinking, and how you approach the medium like having someone else's work to look at and discuss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well,

Here's my 2 non confrontational cents

1) Let's figger out who is interested.
    2) Once we have the participants accounted for issues we're fretting over now might not even matter.

If we do have a fairly even number of european and north american contributors we could set up two portfolios. Each could tour their respective sides of the Atlantic before crossing over... but I'm confusing the issue needlessly. The only thing that really matters right now is who wants to play.

Cheers,
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *off-topic*
    This thread has been quite controversial today. I'm re-adding it to the forum minus the disagreement posts from earlier. Those can be taken off-line.

APUG is getting a bit large for a few moderators to handle so I think it's time to change our approach in moderation. Tonight I'll be installing a "Report This Post" function to the forum. This puts moderation back onto the members instead of a few individuals. If a thread escelates into anything negative members can report it and we'll have a look. If a thread escelates into something negative and no one reports it, then we leave it alone and assume everyone is happy to deal with it. Just how offending the post may be and the action taken can be determined by the amount of users reporting the post. I hope this will maintain a level of freedom to the forums with moderation driven by the 'voice of the people'. If anyone has concerns about this you can PM me. Thanks, Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When we're ready to talk details, I am willing to participate in an alt process travelling portfolio.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Everyone,

If it is possible to get together some people who are willing to burden a greater shipping cost, we can include overseas people in the group. That is a logistical pretzel that I think we could handle in the sequencing of the portfolio. I don't want to be responsible for collecting money or anything like that, and unless someone else wants to do this, I think that we have to leave it up to a few people willing to pay a greater shipping cost.

I am, however, concerned about the time that is required for overseas shipping. Can someone speak up about the speed that the regular portfolio is travelling? I don't want people to have to wait for a year before the portfolio gets to them, because there are a number of people who may greatly benefit from the discourse that may come from an immediate review of other people's work.

My thinking is that we can start by having everyone that wants to send an image to me, and I will put it together in a starting portfolio. Then, it can be sent around to the people in the list, starting with some of the people who have just begun, or are just starting out in an alternative process.

People can also add an image when it gets to them if they wish, but for the first round, nobody should pull the image and replace it because everyone will have not seen them yet.

This will allow us to get a few images into the hands of beginners right away, and then pass the images to everyone else as time passes.

After the portfolio gets around the first time, then we can start pulling the images and replacing them with others.

I could also scan and post the initial portfolio so that people can start questions and discussion as soon as the portfolio starts it's rounds, and everyone will be able to see the image on the monitor so that there will be a little bit of understanding of what is going, even before the portfolio has reached them.

If you are interested in participating in this, please post to this discussion, so I can gauge the number of people involved. Also, it you are willing to ship overseas, please send me a PM stating that you are willing to do so.

---Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael, the other portfolio took about 10 or so days to travel from Australia to the US. Surprisingly, postcards can take longer! I believe the postage time is the least of your worries for keeping it moving... How long each person hangs on to it and appreciates it can be more of a factor. I know I would have liked to hang on to it longer, and I had it fro nearly 2 weeks in the end.

I'm not an alternative process worker (other than a few cynotypes which I've experimented with but have no real clue) so unless there's another Aussie APUGer going to voice their interest... you'll be safe from me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin