Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,747   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A "Film is not dead" exhibition?

Has anyone ever considered local “apug” or “analog” group shows? (Or have such things already been going on?)

As my wife and I came from a exhibition reception last night, she (an illustrator) and I were discussing her putting together a proposal for a gallery exhibition of children’s book illustrators. We live in the DFW Metro area, and there is actually enough of these people locally that this would be feasible. We discussed this more today at lunch, and it occurred to me: how about local “Film Is Not Dead” shows around the world!

There are enough apugers and others (such as large format folks) in this area, for instance, that one could put together more than enough work for a gallery installation. There are also a number of galleries in the area that solicit submissions/proposals for exhibitions. This is how my wife did her MFA shows and how the Texas Church Project got into its current venue.

So, I would just like to start a discussion about how interested the membership would be in doing something like this. No specifics yet, just ideas. My initial ideas: the format could be a group show, either open or juried. From my experience with such galleries/venues, there would have to be some commitment of known work in order to submit a proposal, but the proposal would not have to include all of the images that would eventually be exhibited, just a representative sample.

Would “apug”, as an entity, want to have the website formally associated with such things?

Should they be ad hoc by location, or do we coordinate across geographic boundaries?

I mean, groups are always organizing to go out and shoot together; and there are print exchanges. But those are totally within the community. Why not go public?

Just thinking “out loud via the internet” here …

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of these happened in Ireland late last year. Fintan and thefizz organised it. It was really good and defintely worthwhile .. I say go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We had a couple so far up here in New England... one at Belmont Hill school (where Whitey Morange teaches) in Belmont Mass and one at the Valley Photo Center here in Springfield MA last January. As for the future... who knows what may happen. Somebody want to find a venue and do the leg work???

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to set up something like that at Vermont Center for Photography, though making it exclusive to APUG probably would not fly.
    Although film-only wasn't a goal, two of our recent exhibitions were all analog, and film-based work is a major component of the current portrait show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I"d be very willing to help with a Houston-area exhibit. I know there are many film photogs here.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    One of these happened in Ireland late last year. Fintan and thefizz organised it. It was really good and defintely worthwhile .. I say go for it.
    Thanks! I just finished reading that whole thread. :o

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum237/...xhibition.html

The Irish project seemed to go well enough. Some slight discouragement in the middle, but everything turned out well and all seemed pleased! (And I learned a few things)

Thanks to the delegates from New England for their comments. Yeah, I agree that scoping it to film (and darkroom) may be more practical than just apug, but that's why I'm asking. The Irish event seemed to run on apug.
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    We had a couple so far up here in New England...
    Gene: Were those open submissions, are was there a selection process?

And Valerie: Careful what you volunteer for!!! Although judging from the Irish thread, maybe an All-Texas show might work for the first one?

Post your thoughts! Again, just thinking out loud. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This was my thought for the show on Fraction Magazine.

I am obviously film friend and prefer and will try to promote it every chance I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David - we just invited APUG photogers for these shows. The both were posted here on APUG and whoever responded was in the show. It was kinda open submission (open to any APUGer) and kinda selective (open only to APUGers).
    We try to do things as a group: shoots; general gatherings; informal workshops... in larger groups or with just two to four people. I think it is great that we try to stay active and involved.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. Fellow ape-hugger Colin Corneau and I are planning an analog exhibit at a new Gallery located within the Brandon University library later this spring. We will be inviting other analogers to join us. "Film is not Dead" might be a great tag line
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The man speaks the truth, people. We've pretty much got the go-ahead from the people responsible for the exhibition space, which is really distinctive and lovely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin