Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,753   Posts: 1,515,918   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Second annual US Pacific Northwest APUG gathering was a Great Smash!

Hello all,
    I want to share with you that the Second Annual US Pacific Northwest APUG group meeting was a great smash and fun event this last weekend. We opened the event to the general public and invited local photographers to share their expertise and knowledge. We had 50 people attend.
    I want to personally thank APUG members, Vaughn Hutchins, Denise Ross and Steve Anchell for coming and sharing with everyone. The theme was Alternative Processes. We covered most but maybe next time cover more.
    Vaughn has stepped up to host the 3rd meet up in Eureka, California.
    Here is a link written up by Tom Hubbard, editor of Portland Metro Photographic News http://www.pmpnonline.com/specialhap....htm#451358775
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    how on earth did I miss this!?

**doh**

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sorry that you missed it. I had posted both in the general forum and in the regional group forum. I also posted on Portland Metro Photographic News and several other sites. I hate it when someone slips thru the cracks. Maybe you will make it next year in Eureka, Calif.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Expertly organized and pulled off by Robert!, and the meeting site was graciously hosted by WSU and Annetta (sp?) What wonderful facilities!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Looks like I'll have to put next years event down and reserve the date. Eureka is closer for me. Okay for SoCal photographers to come?

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Sure, Jim
    Just enroll with Vaughn to be an honorary state of Jefferson citizenship ;-)
    Will be good to see you there next year
    Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry I missed it too, but the weather was too good not to go camping.

I'm not sure I can make it to the State of Jefferson for next year. Maybe it will be up north again the following year.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoyed the Carbon printing session, I don't know who that nice man was but he knew his business. I think the best print he brought was a 5x7 print of a coastal cove. The relief in those prints was astounding, I think I will start doing Carbon Transfer after seeing the presentation.

BTW Vaughn I plan to get my fingers in the Glop too and my Dichromate arrived today thanks to Bud and Sherry at the Formulary.

I will be up for Eureka next year.
    I usually stay at the fbi motel near the Carson House but I would be taking my truck and trailer. Better food, clean bed and head.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The events are organized by the folks of the APUG social group, U.S. Pacific Northwest Regional WA-OR-ID and the State of Jefferson. But as far as who can attend, it is open to anyone/everyone who wants to show up. Film or digital, or any type of hybrid is welcome. The whole idea is photography. I'll be spreading the word to our local schools and camera clubs.. Jim -- if they let you through the redwood curtain, you are welcome to join us!

The last gathering was directed heavily towards alternative photographic processes. We can continue in this vein, or take on new and/or different topics. For example, perhaps one of our photo professors here at HSU could show her work and talk to the group about transitioning from large RA4 prints to large digital (inkjet) prints -- how it has influenced how/what she photographs. More ideas gladly accepted!

If there is interest, I could do another carbon demo, or perhaps Jim and I can do it together..

Since it is a long ways for most people, and the redwoods are right here, perhaps a stronger (longer) photographing element would be in order? Perhaps after meeting in the morning on Sunday, a journey northwards to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park to photograph? Coastal stops on the way up would also be possible. Large format camera demos in the redwoods, etc. We could keep within the 50 feet of the vehicles where Brett found things to photograph, or we can wander a little farther than that and I can share some of my favorite trees. Then when it is time to head towards home, people heading north would start out 40 to 50 miles closer to home. We also have our share of old barns, Victorian houses, rugged coastlines, fishing boats, mosquito-infested sand dunes (much better in the winter!), farmer's markets, and many other photographic subjects.

I think that the month of these meetings is pretty much set in September, for purposes of working with the Newport Photography Workshop schedule. But just to let you all know -- Mid-October is much nicer -- the Big-leaf maples are turning yellow. But I have to admit, coming home from Vancouver, I hit the redwoods right after a good long rain. beautiful...too bad I did not have my 8x10 with me...actually a good thing as I would have been late getting home!

Anyway, I have to clear the use of the darkroom and classroom with the Powers That Be and all that.

Again, congrats and thanks to Robert for a great week-end!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Vaughn, how about having it in May so the rhododendrons are blooming in the Redwoods?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin