Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,886   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sean your the best!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a bit dumb - so kitchen is it?

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are several take on this sort of thing out in web-land. I'm a regular contributor to "the street salon" where topics are chosen, people fiddle for a couple of weeks, send a photo, and whoever is judged "best" is made judge and topic-picker for the next round. It's been going on for a while: you can see my pics and links to others here

Another similar project is Marc North's PhotoFriday. (I'll be trying to go to the Saturday mtg of the Bay Area photobloggers, btw -- see the link here).

Another is the ongoing contest at DigitalSucks.com

Some dangers to these, IMO:
    1. When topics are obviously physical, either physical nouns like "telephone" or physical adjectives like "green" or "high," the results tend to be highly mannered and predictable
    2. When people start getting bent about rules and counting "wins," the results tend to be highly mannered and predictable. And people all get mad.
    3. Excitement over the contest can tend to take over the rest of a forum or site, leaving everything else dried up on contest days.
    4. As always, comments like "I liked that" and "I didn't like that one as much" are next to worthless. If there's to be judging at all, it ought to be taken seriously and as a responsibility for every shot made on the topic. Some sort of judging is a necessary evil though — someone has to choose the topics!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Ha, beat you all.
    Looks as if the little fellow is anticipating his fate.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well this would hve been fun, I'll have to join the next one, Where we're going to be their is not a kithen. I love this Idea and hope we do it monthly.

Images
    I really like the idea but do not have access to a scanner except everyonce in a while. Plus I don't like the whole be the first, or best thing, is it really necessary? I would just like to see what people come up with. How about giving a broader time line?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the point should be to push us as photographers to go out and shoot something new and not dig through our archives--this is just my repsonse to Kevin's photo as it's from 2002. Anybody can do whatever they feel like, but I am personally going to try and shoot new work.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like the idea. The requirement should definitely be for new work only. At usefilm.com it was tough to enforce this, so there was a lot of the same stuff from people's files that they would put up over and over again on every site they could just to get exposure, and often the work didn't even follow the project guidelines. I'll sit out for a few weeks, though, until I'm back home and have access to the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let's define a point:

Is this a fastest gun in the west style contest or is there a deadline?

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin